World war IV ft. Jimmy Choos

~Victoria~

"Stop groping my äss. Thanks."

My efforts at being elegant were clearly not working.

The 'gentleman' dancing with me narrowed his eyes. I stepped on his feet, admittedly not by accident. He winced, moving his fingers to my waist.

God bless Jimmy Choos.

The ballroom had about a hundred couples waltzing to the sound of violins. They were of different ages and races, but they all had two things in common.

They were filthy rich and gorgeous as fück.

Biscuit just gave me one of his meaningful "you know what to do" looks and disappeared an hour ago.

Which, of course, meant I did not know jacksquat.

When he said castle, for some reason I expected a Disney style monstrosity with magical turrets and singing birds.

Rega Kastel was more like Disney but as the soulless capitalist corporation that it really was.

Thirteen state-of-the-art skyscrapers were connected overhead and underground by bridges and tunnels. It was intimidating, cold and beautiful.

Much like the people inside it.

To be fair, I did make an attempt to socialise. I knew by now that this was an engagement party. So when a pretty girl tried to talk to me, the conversation went a little like this.

"I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure to meet you, milady. I'm Adriana, sister to Prince Darius Azaria."

Um... "I'm Victoria." Shortcake to Sir Biscuit.

"Whose side are you from?"

"I'm a friend of the groom."

"How did you and the prince meet?"

"I tried to kill him."

She assumed it was a joke. After an awkward laugh, she excused herself and walked away.

I was clearly awesome at socialising.

After that, I stuck to the buffet table and made friends with the waiter. He kept my wine glass full and told me something I was trying very hard to ignore.

My target, a.k.a the annoying guy with the blue eyes, Danny or Xavier or whatever the hell his name was - well, he was the ruling Prince of Vetresca.

I sat down, downing my glass in one shot.

I almost killed the king of a continent.

I almost started World War IV.

I almost got only ten million dollars for it.

This was when the 'gentleman' in the mask had asked me for a dance. I nodded without any real interest.

The song was over now. I was lost in my own thoughts when he spun me around and led me outside.