Chapter 35: First Mission

Naruto Uzumaki

We walked home and during the entire trip, none of us mentioned any word whatsoever. Although, I was dying to know just one thing: What had happened in there for him to smell so bad? I couldn't help to avoid seeing the people look at us with fear in their eyes and the mothers take their children, distancing them as far as they could from the Uchiha. In that moment, I felt bad about making him return. I suppose he was right; I was an imbecile. I let myself go for a promise I had made to Sakura and brought him with me hoping to have him on my team, but I never imagined this would happen.

"Sasuke." I called out to him with my head down. "What happened in there?" I asked him but he didn't respond. "Sasuke?" I asked.

"It's a prison, Naruto, just like any other. What did you want to happen?"

"I don't know." I told him. "Have they done something to you?"

"Something like what?" He asked me.

"I don't know, maybe did something to make you stink like you do?"

"What's it matter?" He said to me. "I'm out, that's what matters, no?"

I realized that I had stopped, but Sasuke didn't. He passed by my side, walking calmly with his head high as always, with his pride first and I knew that he would tell me nothing. I didn't know what they had done to him, but I supposed they had tortured him. So little trust in me that he couldn't ask for my help? Well... Sasuke never asked me for help, he'd cut his tongue off before asking for any help but, to not tell me anything? We were supposed to be friends, he even told me about his brother before marching off. Why didn't he count on me for anything now?

Sasuke remembered where I lived and even opened the door of my house with the emergency key I always left hidden on top of the door frame. How could he even remember that? He opened and entered only to twist his lip like he tended to do, making that sound of his that sounded like a grunt of disapproval.

"It's not very organized, but it's just that I wasn't expecting any visits." I tried to excuse the mess.

"No need to swear it." he told me. "Where can I shower?" He asked.

"The last door in the end." I pointed. "The clean towels are behind the door."

"Aright." He said and I would've liked to hear a 'thank you,' but I supposed... that he was Sasuke Uchiha; he never appreciated anything.

He closed the door after himself and I looked over there. I was worried for him, I wanted to know what was going on with him, I wanted to know what he was thinking at this moment, I wanted to help him in any way I could but I didn't know what to do if he didn't even deign to speak with me. I didn't remember the little privacy of the doors until I saw Sasuke's silhouette through the paper door, but that's because I had always lived alone; my parents had put it there and I didn't change it. Why change it if I lived alone? Nobody saw me, but now... I was there paralyzed like a fool looking at the silhouette of Sasuke taking his clothes off.

Perhaps it was silly because I could only see his shadow, but even so, I was watching him unclothe and something inside me made me blush a bit and I looked away. I decided to pass by my room and clean it up a bit because he would have to sleep either here... or on the sofa. My house was really small; one room, one restroom, the kitchen, and the living room for only me- I needed nothing more. I didn't miss anything. It wasn't like I had any amenities; I don't know if the Uchiha, accustomed to his great mansion in the Uchiha clan, saw any comfort in this hovel but he'd have to adapt. I wasn't from the most prestigious clan of the village.

While I cleaned my room of the clothes I had on the floor and put away the futon where I slept, I realized something important: Sasuke didn't have any clothes to change into and had entered the bathroom with dirty clothes. Was he capable of wearing the same clothes again? I hoped not. I looked through my closet for an old black shirt I had and some pants.