Chapter 55: Attack

Sasuke Uchiha

We were on our way as soon as we prepared what was necessary for the war and although Kakashi explained to us the motives on the way, although he was telling us of the events... I was having a feeling of guilt. It was my fault in the end; none of this would've happened if I had never returned to Konoha, if they had killed me at that time, because that's exactly what the other villages wanted to do to return to their time of peace: to see me dead.

I suppose that everything had started thanks to the traveling rumor that Konoha was protecting me, me... a traitor, an assassin, so now everyone really wanted to see me dead. In part, this whole situation was my fault and on the other... it was Naruto's for having brought me back. If he hadn't done it... none of this would be happening.

We headed towards the Land of Rain and not once did we make a stop ever since we left that diminutive and calm town. Kakashi was a few meters ahead of me and Naruto was just in front of me, running without stopping nor turning around to look at me. He only moved forwards like he always had and sometimes that... made me think if I wasn't staying too behind from him, as if he could continue surpassing himself and I was stuck in my actual power, always looking at my past, a tragic past that would never come back. Why couldn't I be like Naruto and look forwards, to the future?

Naruto suddenly turned around as if he sensed my doubts and threw me one of his typical smiles as he winked in complicity but he never stopped. His feet touched the next branch and he jumped once again in search for another one. I followed his steps and although I tried smiling, I couldn't. I suppose it gave Naruto the idea that I was thinking of something. I turned to my right side to see my brother and Deidara, also following our pace perfectly. In fact... I think they could've gotten ahead of us a long while ago, but the maintained themselves at my side.

My brother looked at me and although said nothing or made no gesture of support, I felt he was here with me. The only movement he made was a gesture of the head towards Naruto, as if trying to tell me something about him, but I didn't understand, I only followed after the steps of my blond, jumping a second after him from the same place he had jumped from.

I didn't notice when Naruto slowed his pace and placed himself by my side to ask me if I was okay. In fact, I wasn't. I was so scared that something might happen to him during this war. I didn't want anything to happen to him and it was a damn war— they could kill him at any moment and I could never permit it.

"What's wrong?" He asked me. "You've been very serious ever since we parted."

"I didn't precisely expect to go back to the village to defend it." I commented. "And much less defend it in a war where I could lose you."

"You're not going to lose me, Sasuke." He assured me while smiling.

"No, I won't lose you."

I won't lose him, of this, I was sure because before if I had the chance to see him die, I would get in between. I would never let anything happen to Naruto. I don't know if he knew what exactly I was thinking, and I suppose not, because if he knew, he would've tried to stop me at whatever cost and I wasn't thinking of telling him ever. All my thoughts of him would stay in the depths of my mind.

I sped up my pace and went ahead of Naruto to reach Kakashi although slowed down a bit before getting to him because although I was quicker at this moment, I didn't want to be in the front. I didn't trust anyone from that village, so I could not be within Kakashi's reach although I did not think he would want to do anything to me at this moment. I suppose he needed me to defend the village.

We arrived to the Land of Rain around noon and I began searching for my team while Itachi and the rest tried to convince Pein to fight, something I didn't know they would achieve. He had already fought alongside my brother, Deidara, and I but back then, that was his own organization. He was the leader and he had to take measures. This issue didn't concern him, so I didn't know how much he would care about Konoha to intervene.