Chapter 46: Suffering

Naruto Uzumaki

Sasuke's words made me realize something and he was right: I always arrived late at every other place and now I was even late to find out about my own feelings. It's just that it seemed like everyone knew more about them than I did; even Gaara had noticed way before me that I liked Sasuke, that I felt all of this for him and not for Sakura like I had always said.

I supposed Sakura had disillusioned me; she was the most beautiful girl in the academy and I was in love with her for most of my life but she only had eyes for Sasuke, so much, that she treated me like trash and when she really started to take interest in me, I suppose that's when I raised my hopes even higher; it was what I had always wished for. But seeing how she betrayed Sasuke when I asked her not to tell anyone and how she marched off when I asked for help in healing him... I noticed that the girl I had fallen in love with in my childhood... didn't exist. I only believed to see a stupendous girl where instead, a selfish girl who hadn't been able to get with Sasuke ended up falling for me.

Sasuke was different, he didn't like anybody but even still, he was always by my side. He helped me, didn't treat me like trash although he wouldn't stop messing with me. I still remember his damn phrase during the Chunnin exams. How the hell did he want me to remember a phrase that long? But of course, the Uchiha had even thought of that because he knew that I was an idiot who would say 'sorry, I forgot,' and it was true, I couldn't remember long phrases. I was bad at exams and I arrived late. But he was right in another thing: I was always there to help him— although late— but I arrived either way to help him. He trusted in me even if I took long, he believed I would be there in time. He believed in me, he always had and he continued to do so. He was the Sasuke I knew, he hadn't changed and I loved him. I loved him just as he was.

I hadn't slept much throughout the night— my fault— since I decided to stay awake taking care of Sasuke. It looked like he needed much sleep and once I laid by his side, he took hold of me unconsciously, buried his face in my open chest and went to sleep hugging me. He didn't wake up the entire night! 

I watched him sleep and played with his hair. I couldn't keep from smiling, seeing him with me once again. I didn't want him to ever leave, I wanted him to always be by my side. With him, everything was better. I hadn't realized until now, that the most important person to me, the one I couldn't live without if I lost, was Sasuke, not Sakura. Sasuke was like my family; I needed him and only him.

I saw how he frowned when light started coming in through the window and when he began opening his eyes. I couldn't help but smile, seeing Sasuke look like a small child trying to wake up. It was sweet when he slept and I thought... that when he was awake, he'd still be as prideful and smug as ever. He opened his eyes, finding himself with me, well... finding himself holding on to me because he let go of me and moved away quickly.

"What the?" He began asking.

"Am I also at fault for you holding on to me to sleep?"

"I didn't hold on to you, plus... what am I doing in your house?" He asked me.

"You needed a place to stay and honestly... I don't like your house. You're much safer here."

"Much safer?" He asked, unbelieving. "May I remind you that they almost killed me because of you?"

"May I remind you that I arrived on time?"

"Please, Naruto, you're always late. You almost managed to get Sakura and I killed with Orochimaru during the Chunnin exams, remember?"

"The snake was distracting me." I tried excusing myself. "Which, by the way, was also sent by Orochimaru."

"When Gaara escaped from the exam, you let yourself go to sleep."