Chapter 37: Confessions

Naruto Uzumaki

I kept looking over at Sasuke awake on that branch. He was serious on what he told me and preferred to stay awake in case I didn't keep proper watch. He was stubborn! I didn't even understand why he was being that way, he seemed to have a grave problem with Sakura and I couldn't understand why. Since when did those two not get along? Although, one thing was for sure: Sakura no longer felt anything for Sasuke, so it was my moment to take advantage.

Sakura and Sai had gone to sleep but I was still up keeping watch, although, mostly instead of keeping vigil, I watched as Sasuke looked up towards the sky, leaning against that branch with his katana sheathed... but he had it in hand in case he needed to use it. I recalled the punch I gave him and it hurt me more than it hurt him, that I was sure of. I don't know what had happened to me, I didn't want to hit him but my body was much faster than my mind. Perhaps it was his proud way of talking that had pissed me off more... I don't know, but I had to get used to it. He's an Uchiha, he's always been proud; he'd cut his tongue off before having to apologize or get down from his pedestal. He'd prefer to receive my punches rather than let himself be humiliated.

In reality... that quality was the one thing I liked most about him because while many said he was arrogant, it wasn't true. He was never arrogant; he was proud. Nobody could mess with his clan nor his family. He would never permit anyone to humiliate him and since then, he would never apologize. Everything he did, he did it for a reason. He never regretted anything, he looked ahead and never let anyone take advantage of him. Nobody could ever control Sasuke, I was very sure of that.

I just didn't know if it was his pride that was stronger or simply, that he was so strong that his pride had strengthened because since his childhood, I hadn't seen him cry again, not even for his clan. I used to see him get into so many fights whenever they said something bad about his clan or of his family and perhaps he may have been a little arrogant, but it was for his family. He was in the most prestigious clan of Konoha, everyone wanted to be like him, be born into his clan, have his eyes, have that pride and that will and it's just that... Sasuke was special and as such, he had to know how to maintain his character. He didn't insult you just because he felt superior to you, no, it was quite the opposite: he appreciated you, perhaps that's why I liked it when he insulted me. He made me think that we were close and that's why... it had hurt me when he didn't trust me.

The change of turns came around and Sakura was the one to take my place. I could see Sasuke looking at us fixedly as if we were going to start again, but I wanted to do nothing with Sakura, much less after the hard time Sasuke had given me. It's just that, although I didn't want to demonstrate it to him, I was taking what he said seriously because he was my best friend, he had always been. I didn't want to be angry with him, in reality I wanted to go and apologize, but I didn't want to do it in front of Sakura. I decided to leave it for tomorrow.

I looked over one last time towards Sasuke, who turned his face away in annoyance. He really was too prideful, even if there was no reason to be. He would not come down to apologize, I'd have to go to him. Either way, he was right to be that way; I had done something bad, I couldn't do those things while keeping guard.

I left to my tent to rest and just when sleep started taking over me, I realized that I didn't want to sleep if Sasuke wasn't going to, either. I don't know if Sasuke was going to be good in the morning for the mission, he needed to rest, he hadn't had a good rest in prison and the only time he had a moment of decent sleep was in the sofa back at my house, which wasn't precisely comfortable. I should've left him my bed, I shouldn't have punched him, I shouldn't have given him motive to not trust in me anymore after having seeing him sleep in a safe place with a kunai in his hand. I don't know why everything had happened, but I did know one thing: he thought he was in constant danger and he was not going to lower his guard.