Chapter 56: Life or Death

Naruto Uzumaki

Why was the damn teme bleeding? Why had he stumbled onto me activating that ability that consumed so much of his chakra in that state to defend me? Why was Sakura sent flying in the air when she neared me behind my back with a kunai in hand? I knew the answer to everything; the teme wanted to protect me, he would always have my back. He took care of me like he had always done and if it meant him dying, he'd do it.

This scenario reminded me a bit of our encounter with Haku, Sasuke always coming in between to protect me; knowing they'd kill him if he did that didn't matter to him. He would get in the middle to protect me and although at that time I thought he had died and I let out all I could, I soon discovered that Haku had been much more compassionate than he looked; Sasuke was alive, but right now that didn't seem to be the case. He was bleeding out before my eyes.

I had him laying between my arms; I could see his activated eyes loosing strength until I could only see his eyes back like carbon and he smiled at me. I don't even know why he was trying so hard to smile at me in a situation like this but he was doing it, as if he were trying to calm me. But how was I supposed to calm down when he was dying before me?! He was bleeding from so many places and I blamed myself for not paying attention to him in battle; I should have checked to see if he was okay, but I didn't! I had thought he was alright; he was the great Sasuke Uchiha, the other genius of the Uchiha clan! He was always okay on his own!

I couldn't stop shouting his name over and over again as I pulled his face into my chest and I also couldn't avoid crying as I felt him dying in my arms because this was a stupid war that had nothing to do with him and it had affected him to the fullest. He had wanted to fight for me and I had brought him into this situation; it was my fault that Sasuke was wounded and to be truthful... without Sasuke, nothing else was important.

Kakashi came to us and luckily, Ino was with his team to help us. She immediately started working on Sasuke, but even so, I myself knew that he was really bad. I didn't know who had left him in this state, but if Sasuke hadn't killed them then I would because I, too, could be even more vengeful than Sasuke if it were about things that were important to me. I could never permit that someone do something like this to Sasuke.

It didn't even look like an enemy attack and I was beginning to doubt... that as strong as Sasuke was, he wouldn't have been so easily defeated by someone from the outside. This was something from an ally, from someone who you wouldn't expect to attack you in a war because Sasuke was much too intelligent, much too strong to let himself be defeated by an enemy.

I was now so immersed in getting revenge. I looked at Sakura, unconscious from being thrown back against a tree after Sasuke's Susanoo was activated, sending her forcefully a few meters from us and I watched Danzou in the background looking at us. I felt rage. At this moment, all I felt was pure hate and more hate and it wasn't until I heard Kakashi's voice telling me to calm down that I noticed I was looking straight at Danzou while the Kyuubi's chakra began cloaking over my skin lusting for blood, lusting for vengeance for what they had done to Sasuke.

I stopped myself before attacking anyone, now wasn't the time and much less with Ino here worried, trying to heal Sasuke and him dying. They transported him to Konoha's hospital and I went with him; I didn't want to be away from his side, not even a second and although they ordered me to return to the battlefield, especially Danzou, I didn't pay attention to them. My place was with Sasuke.

In the end after much insistence, I had to return to the field but not after assuring myself of what Ino told me over and over again: that she'd take care of Sasuke but she had to urgently operate on him. On the battlefield, I found myself with an Itachi worried about his brother, Hinata, and her combat team in which she was assigned to. It surprised me that she wanted to talk to me and after informing and trying to calm Itachi down so he could continue in combat, I headed over to talk with Hinata.