Forty One

A/N: Please don't forget to comment and vote! :)

-

I run the other direction, not wanting to get caught eavesdropping and run over to my car, dialling my mum. "Hello boobear," is the first thing she says. "Mum, do you remember how you said the name Gillian Winters rang a bell?" I ask slightly out of breath. "Yes, why? What's wrong Louis?" she asks. "Does dad know him?"

"That's it! Yes, they went to college together! I knew the name sounded familiar" she replies after a few seconds of silence, sounds happy to have solved the mystery. "Why do you ask?" "Because dad's behind the internship, I overheard the principal talking to him" I groan, pulling the car door open and slamming it shut as soon as I get in. "I heard Mr Winters tell dad that he's been very generous since they have agreed to let me have the internship." I buckle up and put my phone on the hands-free setting and lay it down on the dashboard so I can reverse out of my parking spot and drive away from this confusing situation.

"Well I didn't see that coming but now that I think of it, you did mention you wanted to get into teaching when you were younger. Maybe this is your father's way of showing you he's still there for you" mum replies. "Funny way of showing how much he cares. I highly doubt it was their intention for me to find out he was behind it" I groan again. "I know what your father did was wrong and that you're angry at him for leaving us but maybe you should talk to him about this?"

"He left us with nothing mum! Why should I go talk to him when he's the one who left us?" I'm starting to get aggravated because I don't want to see him nor do I want to talk to him. Mum informs me that he has tried to reach out to  the girls but I sure as hell hope he knows he can't buy my forgiveness. Yes, he did give us a good amount of money but he never called, emailed, visited or even sent me a damn postcard. He used to be a great father figure until he followed his dick out of our lives.

I change the subject to ask mum about the girls and the guy she's been seeing. She tells me she's been out with him several times and actually really likes him. "I look forward to meeting him," I tell her and she sounds relieved. "I was afraid you wouldn't accept me dating someone new" she confesses. "I want you to be happy mum." And I do. I want her to be happy because one day all my sisters will be off to college, get married and I don't want mum to end up alone every single night. I do hope we'll be able to live closer so I can visit her whenever I feel like it but I don't know what the future holds for me. I still have a couple of years of college left but what happens after that is still unknown. Will I be with Harry? Will we move in together? Where would we live? What if we break up? I don't want to think about it, I'd much rather just think about the present and the upcoming two years. We'll live in the same dorms with the same friends and we'll hopefully make a lot of great memories to think back on for years and years to come.

When I drive into the parking lot in front of the dormitory I tell mum I have to go and get some studying done but in all honesty I just need time to think about what I've learned today. I open the door to my dorm and find Niall on his bed actually reading a book and chuckle. "You can read!" I joke because Niall hates reading, even asked me if they ever made a movie about Sigmund Freud. He ended up watching 'A Dangerous Method' and even though it had Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung in it, he majorly failed his exam because he thought that watching the movie would be enough and just ignored his textbook completely.

"Shut up" he replies without looking up from the book. I see him wet his finger with his tongue and turn the page on the fairly large book. "What are you reading about?" I question, taking a seat on my bed. "I have to retake the exam on Freud so I'm currently reading about the unconscious mind, the psyche and dream analysis, very interesting actually" Niall replies, this time looking up from his book and offering me a small smile. "Didn't you learn about analysing dreams before? I remember you telling me about it when we went to the lake house and I had dreams about Harry" I'm right, Niall did study that before but apparently, he needs to re-read that because it will be mentioned in the exam and he has to get an 80% or higher in order to pass the class.