Chapter thirteen

DAISY

I stood awkwardly and gazed at the dull, grey tiles silently. The encounter between Jason, Ace and I was most certainly not what I was looking forward to. Jason's posture was tense, and a strong glare was etched up onto his face, clearly showing that he was displeased with Ace and I being alone in an empty corridor. Or that was what I hoped. I couldn't explain why he was so protective over me even if I tried. Last I checked, we weren't even friends.

I quickly glanced at Ace to see him breathing heavily, his fists tightly clenched. What had Michael said that was so touching? Curiosity might have killed the cat, as he stated, but I wasn't just any cat.

"What are you doing here, Ace?" Jason asked lowly, repeating himself.

"Trying to act like any normal college student with a life. Why, do you have a problem?" Ace asked angrily.

"Get the fuck out of here. You know what youre supposed to be doing."

I bit my lip looking between the two. Jason acted as if I didn't exist, even though his glare would randomly face me at times, as if I did something wrong. Ugh.

"Don't tell me what to do." Ace gritted out, though clenched teeth.

"Excuse me?" Jason asked, his fists slowly balling up.

"Okay guys, have a moment to cool down. I don't want to be the reason you argue, please. For me, Ace?" I asked, sending him a smile.

Aces glare dispersed slowly, it being replaced with a small smile.

"What do you mean 'for you'? Are you fucking special or something? Let's go, Ace. She's a waste of space. And she expects too much from a person too."

I felt a pang in my chest. I didn't know how to explain it exactly, but all I knew was that it was awfully painful. My chest tightened and I felt my breath becoming heavier by the second as I stared at Jason with pure shock.

She's a waste of space.

Before you knew it, the familiar wetness at my eyes appeared before me. Without knowing how to stop it I quickly wiped them away, forcing them out of my eyes but it wouldn't stop. Damn it! How many times was a going to cry over this stranger that I technically knew for only three weeks?

"Man, look what you did! You are a fucking idiot." Ace scolded, anger in his tone.

"No, it's okay, Ace. I'm fine." I sniffled, rubbing my eyes furiously. "I was just leaving, I don't want to waste your time. Or space." I muttered before turning around hastily.

I barely walked three steps when a warm hand grabbed my arm securely. "Wait, Daisy." I froze when I noticed it wasn't Ace, but Jason.

I spun around, facing him. "What?" I asked quietly.

"I need to talk to you." He stated, his eyes telling me that it wasn't an option but a demand.

"Why? There's nothing you could possibly say."

"Leave her alone, man. You such a shit head and you expect her to listen to you as if you're king. Give us a damn break you're not Jesus, you know?" Ace snapped, glaring at him.

"Stay out of this."

"Just stop being such a dick all the time."

"Yeah, now go. You know what the shit you have to do."

"Fuck, for once in my life I thought I could be a normal college student." Ace grumbled, slowly walking away. "Bye Daisy, I'm sorry for being a dick."