Chapter thirty-seven

DAISY

Jason's birthday passed by quickly, with me doing exactly as I said. I cooked him the best meal ever and we had a romantic date, but in our apartment and not outside. It was perfect, until I ruined the moment and decided to get personal by asking him questions about his parents and family. To say he cut me off rudely was an understatement. He just stood up and left to go stand out on the balcony, probably deep in thought. I didn't bother him the rest of the night and left early this morning to go to the mall while it was still empty.

It was almost Christmas and I could only imagine how full the shops were going to be. I found myself in the males section in a clothing store in the town's resident mall, trying to find something that Jason might like. It was only fitting I got him a birthday gift, since he had received none besides from Alexis giving him a slap over the head and wishing him happy birthday. I couldn't say the same for Ace, since the guy was missing in action since the last time I saw him. Jason wasn't lying when he said that he never celebrated his birthday.

I couldn't believe it. Who didn't celebrate their birthday? It was supposed to be your favourite day of the year. Well, for most people it should. You recieved endless wishes from family and friends and don't get me started on the birthday cake and presents. Cake doesn't taste as good as it does on birthdays.

I could never say that I really enjoyed my birthdays, but I did look forward to it. I always have. People back at my old home always wished me happy birthdays and some even bought me gifts, like Cassandra and Lucien to be precise. She was never the best friend, but for my birthday's she always bought me cake and she would break into the neighbours garden just to pick me one of the daisy's that they grew. It was always thoughtful and somehow I knew she cared, even though she always acted blunt and cold.

I looked through the rails of men's shirts, and the price tags were alarming. Besides, none of the shirts looked suitable for Jason. He wore dark clothing, jeans, t-shirts and leather jackets. At this store there were mostly old men shirts and cardigans. I cringed when I assessed a men's cardigan in the colour beige. It wasn't bad, but I imagined Jason's expression if I were to buy him this. He would look horrified of the concept of having to wear a cotton cardigan. I wanted to laugh out loud as I imagined his expression.

"Why are you in the men's section, Daisy?" A familiar voice asked.

I turned around in surprise only to see Ace. Thank god, he would definitely know what Jason liked.

"Ace! Thank god you're here." I sighed in relief, placing a hand on his shoulder.

He raised a brow in question. "I'm glad that my presence in needed but why exactly. . . Is it needed?"

"I need to find Jason a birthday present, but I don't know what he would like."

His mouth formed and 'O' shape.

"What do you think I should get him? A T-shirt? A keychain. . . a belt. . . or maybe a wallet? Does he need a another leather jacket? Actually, hold that thought I think that leather jackets are out of my price range. Does he like chains or wrist watches?"

I sounded pathetic, asking my boyfriend's brother what I should get him for his birthday. It sounded like I didn't know Jason well enough.

"Want some advice, pretty Daisy?" He offered, leaning against a nearby railing.

"Uh, sure." I frowned.

"Don't get him anything." He said simply, shrugging and stuffing his hands into his jeans pockets afterwards.

"Uhm, okay. That's the worst advice ever." I scoffed.

"I'm serious. The last time I told him happy birthday, he literally punched me in the face," I stared at him in shock. "I didn't wish him this year. In fact, I didn't even go in a five mile radius of him, to not risk getting clocked in the face again."