Chapter Twenty

Apartment, Mumbai

Kavya answers her father's call and greets after putting the phone on speaker, "Hi Papa."

She hears her father's serious voice, "Kavya, I didn't expect this type of behaviour from you. I am highly disappointed with your stunt."

Ruhi glances at Kavya in confusion, who is staring at her phone with a frown.

While Ranveer continues, "You have ditched me for someone else, how could you Kavya?"

This statement makes her heart skip a beat and she opens her mouth to speak, only to stop, hearing her father's voice, "Did I lose my importance in your life after the wedding? You didn't think of me over that person."

Kavya covers her mouth with her hand as she assumes Ranveer has learned about Armaan's intention for marrying her. It causes tears to well up in her dreadful eyes and she grabs Ruhi's hand in a daze, who is equally scared of the consequences.

Kavya takes a deep breath to control her awakening emotions and gathers her courage to explain everything.

However, Ranveer speaks first, "You got your best friend besides you and forgot your father. This is how you treat your old man?"

Kavya frowns in confusion and Ranveer continues, "Since morning, I am waiting for your call, but you didn't even message me. This is injustice, criminal offence and...and much more. Do you know, I am so hurt?"

Sensing the humour in Ranveer's tone, the girls take a breath of relief and Kavya wipes her wet eyes. Ruhi caresses her hand as Kavya composes herself to respond normally, so he doesn't catch a hint of the heart-wrenching reality.

She apologises in a forced normal tone, "Sorry Papa, Ruhi's arrival was a surprise, then we got engaged in catching up. I was thinking to call you earlier, but the real estate agent called Ruhi, so we came to see the apartment."

Ranveer replies, "Oh, you have come to see the apartment, that's great. How is it? Comfortable for Ruhi?"

Kavya faces Ruhi, who answers the question, "Yes Uncle, it is comfortable and near to the NGO."

Ranveer sighs and responds, "Yeah the NGO. Kavu, what is the hurry to rejoin the NGO? Only 3 days have passed since the wedding, and aren't you and Armaan going for the honeymoon?"

Kavya faces Ruhi, while thinking of an excuse to handle the situation and tells a lie, "Actually Papa, when we arrived in Mumbai, Armaan got a call from his client, who wanted to meet him on urgent basis. So, he left for Los Angeles today morning."

Ranveer repeats in surprise, "Los Angeles?"

Kavya continues, "Yes Papa and that's why I asked Ruhi to courier my transfer letter because how long Armaan will take to return, I don't know. So, instead of wasting my time, I thought to rejoin the NGO."

He replies after a minute of thinking, "Oh! But Armaan shouldn't leave you alone in an unfamiliar place."

Ruhi clenches her fist to stop herself from cursing Armaan, while Kavya thinks of what to say further. She has to reluctantly keep her parents in darkness and make fake stories for their own happiness.

Kavya assures with another lie, "Armaan wasn't willing to leave me alone, Papa. But we know, how much their work has suffered in the last two months. So, I insisted him to go and honeymoon can be done later."

Ruhi rolls her eyes, listening to the false stories Kavya is making to save Armaan. She moves aside in fear to accidentally say something, which can create doubt in Ranveer's mind.