Chapter Fourty

Vikas's Office, Helping Hand NGO

Kavya enters the office after a knock and Vikas asks her to take a seat. She obeys silently, waiting for him to speak. Meanwhile he grabs a file, placed at the right side of the table and forwards towards Kavya.

He informs, "There is a new member in the NGO, Riya. She came yesterday when you were on leave and I want your assistance in her case."

Kavya nods in acknowledgement and Vikas continues after a sigh, "Well it's a complicated situation, Kavya. She had tried to commit suicide by jumping off a tall building, but the security guard saved her at the right time and called the police."

Kavya nods, gesturing to continue and Vikas continues, "When the police enquired, they came to know, she is an orphan and divorcee. On further investigation, they realised it's basically a dowry case. Riya's ex-husband Varun and his family were regularly harassing her, both physically and mentally for money and other valuables. Riya's parents were ordinary people, but they were somehow fulfilling those demands for the sake of their daughter, but six months back, they died in a car accident."

Kavya feels sorry for Riya, after hearing the problems in her life and Vikas continues, "Riya's parents hardly had anything, in fact they didn't even own a house. So, Varun and his family were not getting anything from her after her parent's death and she became a liability on them. They threw her out of the house after forcefully getting her thumb impression on the divorce papers."

Kavya now felt angry at this information and she demands, "How can they do this to her?"

Vikas states dryly, "Greed can make people do anything, Kavya and dowry is a huge problem many women face in India."

Kavya lowers her gaze and Vikas continues to inform, "Anyways, as I said her ex-in-laws threw her out, her parents had no house, plus she has no other place to go, so the police officer had sent her here."

Vikas stands and makes his way towards the other side of the table. He leans on the table, besides Kavya and crosses his stretched legs.

He continues, "All these incidents have left a negative impact on her mind. Even last night she has tried to commit suicide plus, she is not eating anything. She keeps saying 'My life is ruined, I don't have anyone for me, so let me die.' It's difficult to handle her."

Kavya nods in understanding and Vikas states, "Now, I want you to help in this case. I have seen your performance report, which you submitted along with your transfer letter, specifying your counselling sessions to help such people and the meetings to unite their family. So, please meet Riya and convince her to eat something and-"

Vikas gestures towards the file and continues, "This file has details of her ex-husband such as address, number and etc. I want you to meet him as well and convince to take Riya's responsibility again."

Kavya grabs the file and assures, "I will take care of it."

Vikas smiles and informs, "Riya's room number is 207, on the second floor and as she is a suicidal, we have kept a volunteer with her for 24/7."

Kavya nods in response and turns to leave the office to meet Riya.

Outside the Office

Kavya is walking towards the staircase, when she receives a message from Armaan.

Msg - I know a sorry won't be enough, I have done worst with you and you have every right to not forgive me. But can we spent some time together? A dinner tonight, just the way we went before marriage. I promise no lies, no hidden facts, no tricking and no forcing to forgive me. Just a simple dinner, please.