How To Save A Life

Rain’s POV

I leaned on Dante for support.

We were both having a hell of a time trying to stay composed.

“I’ll see you when I wake up, Rain,” Raven was saying softly. “I promise.”

“What if the medicine doesn’t work?” I asked almost hysterically.

“It will work,” Dante said with a hand on my shoulder.

“I promise: I will not leave you.” Raven said solemnly.

“We’re going to give Mr. Moore his medicine now.” A doctor said, walking in.

“’Bye,” My little brother muttered before we were ushered out of the room. “Take care of her, Dante!” He yelled as an afterthought.

An hour later, the doctors came out and told us that we could see him.

They didn’t say anything else. Just, “You can see him now.”

I held onto Dante as we walked into the hospital room again.

Part of me was hoping to see him sitting up, smiling, and saying that the medicine was working and he’d be better in no time.

But the rational part of me knew what I was going to see.

Can you guess which part was right?

Raven, my baby brother, my sweet, funny, adorable little brother was hooked up to all these wires and machines, his chest barely rising when he took shallow breaths.

I broke down crying again.

Dante kept his composure, but I could feel how upset he was, through his hug.

We sat at the hospital for hours, past dark, only getting up once in a while to get a coffee or a water.

Deep down, I felt like this was all my fault.

This never would have happened if I had stayed with them.

But no. I just had to leave because I’m selfish.

I should have taken Raven with me.

This all could have been avoided.

At one point, my intense fear of hospitals kicked in and it felt like the disgustingly white walls were closing in around me. I wrapped my arms around myself, which made it more difficult to breathe, and didn’t help with the tightening in my chest.

Dante had pried my arms from around myself and I imeediately latched them around him.

He hugged back, tight, but not too tight. It was calming, knowing someone was there, and someone cared.

And it made my panic attack disappear.

Something almost no one else had ever been able to do, because no one had ever tried hugging me or anything during panic attacks, except for Dante and Andy.

He stayed awake the whole time, even when I fell asleep leaning on him. He didn’t wake me up, rather let me rest and stayed where he was so I could be comfortable.

He never fell asleep, which made me ask why.

“I don’t want to lose you.”

I wasn’t sure what that meant. “What?”

“I don’t want you to hurt yourself or anything. I’ll stay up forever just to make sure you’re okay.”

I hugged him. “Thanks.”

He simply nodded and hugged back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Predictions anybody? <3 You all :D P.S. In this story, Frank never married Jamia, and Gerard never married Lyn-Z. Therefore, Cherry, Lilly, and Bandit were never born.