Broken

I woke up a few hours later, curled up next to Andy.

I noticed he was already awake, and deep in thought.

“Andy?” I asked softly.

“Yeah?” He sounded distant.

“You know you’re not just a distraction to me, right?”

He finally looked me in the eyes, but he looked unsure. “You’re not...I mean…I trust you…but…Juliet and everything….” He struggled to get out what he wanted to say.  “You’re not gonna pull the same things Juliet did right? She used me for sex and popularity, then cheated on me with one of my brothers, pretty much…I mean, you’re not gonna do that right?”

I took no offense. Past relationships can definitely leave one wary.

“I will not cheat on you or use you. You can trust me, ‘cause I love you. I really, really do.”

He bit his lip and nodded, leaning over to kiss me softly. “I love you, too.”

“So, have they said anything about Raven’s condition?” He asked after a bit of comfortable silence.

“No. I don’t even know if he’s going to wake up…” I pushed back the tears that were fighting to fall.

“It’ll be okay. Raven’s strong; he gets it from you. He’ll make it because I’ve noticed you two are strong, and brave, and you both fought to stay alive. He’s done it before; I’m confident he’ll do it again.”

“Yeah…Yeah, you’re right. He’s strong…”

“Hey, how ‘bout we clean up, get dressed, and we’ll go see Raven?” He offered, trying to cheer me up.

“Yeah, okay.” I stood up and went to take a shower, pausing in the doorway before I did so. “I’m glad you’re home, Andy.”

He smiled happily. “I’m glad I’m home, too. It’s great to see your beautiful face again.”

I smiled and went to take my shower. I had a feeling that maybe things were going to get better…

After I was out of the shower, Andy showered and we got dressed.

“So, Dante’s coming home soon?”

“Yeah. He’s pretty worried about Raven.”

“We all are.”

“I know. Sammi has asked about him everyday; she even comes with me to visit him from time to time. They all do.”

He nods again. “I would’ve if I’d been here.”

It was my turn to nod as we pulled into the hospital parking lot.

I grabbed his hand as we walked in side.

“Hello, Ms. Moore. Here to visit Raven again?” A nurse asked.

“Yes,” I said hoarsely. My throat suddenly felt very dry.

“Come on, then. You know where it’s at.” The nurse said.

We followed her to a white room, where we could see Raven lying in a bed, skin paler than the last time Andy had saw him. He was still hooked up to an IV and his body looked much thinner than before, when they’d first put him in this seemingly-never ending-sleep. His eyes looked dark and nearing the point of sunken in.

He looked horrible.

I heard Andy involuntarily gasp at the sight of him.

“He looks…really ill.” Andy managed to say.

“He is. HIV is no common cold…” I muttered, bitterness lacing my voice.

“Baby, calm down. I know things are stressful right now, but it will get better. I promise.”

I leaned into his hug and sighed softly. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault.” We sat in silence, holding hands and watching Raven’s chest shallowly rise and fall.

I heard a faint knock on the door.

Turning around a bit, I saw Dante standing in the doorway, looking pretty upset. His skin was almost as pale as Raven’s and he looked like he might cry.

I did.

Tears fell silently from my eyes as I stood up and hugged him tightly.

“Have they said anything new?” He asked shakily.

I noticed Andy staring at the floor, pretty spaced out.

“No.” I said regretfully.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Predictions? Comments?? Comments and predictions??? :D