Chapter ~ 12

Peter's POV

I slowly walked towards the bathroom with a mixture of emotions and thoughts running through my head. I knew Happy was going to say something about the graze on my cheek but I didn't care. To be honest, I didn't want to see Happy again since he was doing what Mr Stark told him to do. 

I pushed open the bathroom door and Happy was standing in there in the suit he always wore, I avoided his eyes as I kicked the door shut behind me and nervously fiddled with my hands.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey," I replied awkwardly.

"I just want to say, thank you, for saving all those boxes in the plane, if he stole them then the New York would be in quite a bit of trouble right now," 

I stayed silent and looked down at the cracked tiles of the bathroom floor, unsure of what to say.

"Anyway, why did you want me to come here?" I asked finally looking back up.

"Tony wants to see you, he's upstate at the new Avengers base so we should get going," replied Happy checking his watch.

Happy walked to the bathroom door and opened it but he paused when he saw that I wasn't following him.

"What's wrong?" he questioned.

"Why does he need to see me?" 

"I don't know, we should get going, it's already dark outside," he said impatiently.

I sighed and looked out the window, I didn't even notice that it was dark outside. Suddenly, I remembered Aunt May. She was still sick and it was already six o'clock.

"Tell Mr Stark not to worry about it, I don't want to see him," I replied quickly.

I squeezed past Happy into the empty corridor and he looked stunned.

"What? How, why wh-" he stammered.

"Look, tell him that I'm not talking to him, I gotta go, good luck with the new base upstate!" I called back.

I turned around and sprinted out the building and all the way back to the apartment, ignoring the looks of bewildered strangers as I sped past them at record speed. I burst into the apartment throwing my bag onto the ground and walking into May's room, she was lying in bed, she hasn't been able to do anything other than sleep since she was so sick.

"Hey May, how are you feeling?" I asked.

"I'm fine," she coughed, "How was school?"

"School was fine, I'm going to go heat up some soup for you okay?" I replied gently.

She nodded and I exited the room walking into the small kitchen, I grabbed a can of chicken noodle soup and poured it into a pot and waited for it to cook. I leant against the marble counter and sighed, May needed to see a doctor but we didn't have any money since I used all the money we had to pay the rent and bills and to buy medicine and soup for May. I looked at the furniture and took down some paintings from the walls and the table that the TV used to sit on as well as all the rugs in the apartment. I put all the things for sale on eBay and by the time I was done the soup was ready, I poured it into a bowl and gave it to May. I talked to her and told her the things I was selling and she agreed and told me she was sorry that I had to look after her but I told her I didn't mind.

After she had fallen back asleep I got changed into my pyjamas, I inspected my shoulder and it looked infected, the stitches had disappeared but sometimes my shoulder would start randomly bleeding. My hand was still badly burnt and blistering and my ankle was better, my phone buzzed with a phone call and I picked it up and when I saw the caller name anger and bitterness flooded through me. Mr Stark was calling me. 

I couldn't help but be angry with him after he took away my suit he didn't even bother to check in on me to see if I was alright or if Aunt May was doing okay. But, the second I do something that helps him he wants to meet up with me again and act like everything is normal.

I ignored the call and let it go to voicemail, I sighed and climbed up to the top bunk and wrapped my duvet tighter around me. Winter was coming and we didn't have any more blankets since we sold them all, we couldn't use the heater since we didn't have enough money to pay for that. Ned and Hallie have offered to give me some money to help with May's sickness but I refused, I couldn't take money from them no matter how much they begged me to take it.

I looked out my window at the night sky and the stars were started to appear, I haven't been out as Spider-Man since the incident with Vulture happened and I didn't want to think about how much crime has been going on since then. 

A few days later

I sold all the stuff I put on eBay as well as the dryer and washing machine since that was only making the water bill go up. I took May to the doctors and I found out that she bronchitis which can take up to four weeks for it to go away. The apartment was always cold and it looked so bare and empty.

I dragged myself out of my bed and pulled on some warm clothes before shoving all my school things into my bag. I walked out into the living room/kitchen area and May was sitting on the couch wrapped up in her duvet.

"Morning Pete," she croaked.

"Morning May, are you warm enough?" I asked.

"I'm fine, honestly, you need to stop worrying so much,"

I rolled my eyes and went back into my room and dragged my duvet off my bed and chucked it towards May.

"I'll be home a bit later tonight since I have to go to the chemist to get your prescriptions," I told her. 

May rolled her eyes and I said goodbye to her and closed the door behind me, my stomach rumbled but I ignored it. I had half a can of soup last night since May would not eat unless I ate something. I was using my lunch money to buy May's medicine and I knew my stomach would not appreciate it.