Chapter 4

C.C. was ready and waiting as promised. Clark showed up early to take her to work. She was already outside when he pulled up. He sat behind the wheel and watched her walked up to his car. She was dressed in a pair of tan slacks, an off the shoulder tan blouse, and wearing her hair up in a ponytail.

His blue eyes followed her to the door and watched her open the door to climb inside. "Good morning, Clark." She said with a small smile. Clark returned the same small smile to her while his thoughts went to last night and their kiss. He cleared his throat before he began to focus back on driving. " Good Morning. C.C." He finally said.

That day was the usual busy day around the Daily Planet. As Clark worked at his desk, C.C. sat at hers focusing on her flat screen monitor. She searched through many photos for the two pictures to help her case. She quickly found the first one and after a while, she found the other one. Making sure both were in color to compare them. Her light brown eyes focused in on the main object she was searching for. The key piece of evidence that confirmed her deepest suspicions.

She glanced away from her screen before she looked down the row from her desk. C.C. watched Clark busily typing on his computer. She lightly stuck her tongue in the small opening of her mouth and licked her lips. It was something she always did when she was deep in thought. C.C. then looked around as she watched everyone hustle and bustle about. No one either cared that the biggest scoop in the world was closer than they think. Or that they simply and honestly for some strange reason didn't know.

She watched Jimmy get ready to walk past her desk when she reached for his arm to get his attention." Jimmy. Can I ask you a question?" She said to him. "Sure, C," Jimmy called her by a nickname she gave her. "Who do you see right there?" She asked pointed over to Clark's desk. Jimmy stood there staring for a few minutes before responding. "Clark. Sitting at his desk. On the phone. Right?" He answered.

C.C. sighed a bit and nodded. "Right. But when you see Clark. No. When you look at Clark, who do you really see?" She asked him, making him look at Clark harder. Jimmy glanced back from Clark, who glanced at them before continuing on working. "I see Clark Kent. Son of Jonathan and Martha Kent. He's from Smallville, Kansas." Jimmy said with all seriousness.

She realized what she thought about them simply not knowing as she gave Jimmy a smile. "Thanks, Jimmy. I just wanted to get a bit more information." She told him. Jimmy grinned at her before he gave a wink, misunderstanding. "No problem, C. You wanted the 411 on Kent. Got it." He said before he walked away. C.C. rested her chin on her fist and stared at her screen once more. "Yeah, but not why you think." She softly said to herself.

Clark pretended to be writing as he let his super hearing pick up all C.C. had said to Jimmy. He wondered to himself what she was up to.

C.C. decided to take a break from her desk. She turned off the screen and grabbed some money out of her purse, before leaving the building to head to a nearby restaurant. By the time she got there, she noticed it was packed inside. It took a while before she got to order herself a sweet and sour salad and strawberry water.

She was sitting down at a window seat eating her food, deep in thought about her recent discovery. By the time she was three bites away from finishing her food, she decided that maybe she was just speculating about Clark and Superman. C.C. was about to take that next bite when out of nowhere there was a huge explosion. The blast's shock waves flowed through the restaurant, breaking the doors' and windows' glass. Pieces flew everywhere causing all the patrons, including C.C., to be knocked back.

Clark was still at his desk, working for real this time when he heard the sonic boom and people screaming. He quickly got up and left his desk to go into the back stairwell. He used his super speed to rush up the stairs while he shed his clothing like butter melting in a pan. Before you could blink, he was out of the building, past the roof, and up in the air.

Superman quickly searched in the sky as he saw a local Daily Planet hangout, called 'The Deli', clouded in smoke. He flew down closer and saw a construction crew scattered about on the street. He quickly went to a crew member who was near a jackhammer that was about to come down on him. Superman quickly stopped it and moved the man and his crew safely away from the blast. "Tell me what happened?" Superman asked.

"We were a two crew team. One was working on the street and the other was supposed to blow in the abandoned Ten Towers building. Someone bought the land and want to build from scratch." The crewman stated. "Well they were told that it was dangerous, but our other team were demanded the order and went ahead. And now our crew is underneath the building. And some of the building went towards that restaurant."

Soon policemen came up. "Please explain again to these officers what you told me. I need to go check it out." Superman told the crewman. He flew up and over to the building, going through the rubble. He found the members of the other crew team and went through the pieces of the building. Superman sifted through it and scooped the six men up together then got them out to the ground. They were met by lots of people, police, ambulances, and officials. He left the men with the EMTs before heading to the restaurant and noticed a lot of people hurt, but alive or awake. He created an opening for those able to walk on their own so they could get checked out.

Superman gathered the ones that couldn't walk out quickly and placed them with the EMTs as well. He just sat the owner down with an EMT when his super-hearing picked up a faint female moan. He zoomed back to the building and searched underneath the broken counters and glass to find C.C. unconscious.

"Celeste." He said in shock. Superman suddenly heard the support beams in the building start to give way. Before the building completely collapsed, he got her out in time. He was flying down toward medical assistance when he glanced at her beautiful face. It was cut up with glass and her clothes torn and dusty. He was about to land when he watched her open her eyes to stare into his. She looked at him before her eyes rolled back into her head.

"Please, take care of her. I need to go tell her friend." Superman said before taking off. Not too long after the EMTs got her ready to be taken to the hospital, Clark rushed out to the ambulance. "Wait! I'm a friend of hers. I was told that she's hurt!" He yelled to them before they closed to the door.

"Do you know her family?" One asked. "She doesn't have any. And she's not from here." Clark said as he stared at her with a mask on her face. "Come on in. You can ride with us." The EMT said as he let Clark get in before they took off.

Hours later C.C. was still unconscious while they patched her up and gave her fluids. Afterward, she was placed in a hospital room to rest. Clark sat by her side while he filled in Jimmy and Perry with updates on his cell. It was around ten at night when she finally woke up to see Clark sleeping a chair by her side. She weakly stared at him, remembering Superman saving her and looking into his eyes. She finally got her evidence. Too bad it had to come by her getting hurt.

"Hey. You're awake. Welcome back, C.C." He whispered as she glanced back to see his eyes opened. She looked at him, looking at her through those dark-rimmed, Buddy Holly looking glasses. She had so many questions but knew they could wait until later. Right now she only had one thing to say. She looked up at Clark before she found her voice. "Thank you. For saving me. Superman."