Chapter 6

Clark got through work as he fielded questions on how was C.C. doing from the staff. It seems that she made a lot of new friends at the Daily Planet in the short time she's been working here. Jimmy even passed around a small box to take up a collection so the entire staff could buy her a feel better soon gift. He was amazed at how she managed to make everyone - from the janitor all the way to Perry White, himself- smile or genuinely care. It was refreshing to find someone like that in this day and age and not want something in return for being that way.

As promised he got to the hospital, after work, with a change of clothes for her to go home in. He stopped by the nurse's station as he met with the doctor, He learned she's got a clean bill of health and she could go home right after she gets dressed. Everything had been filled out and signed by her. "She's just waiting on you, Mr. Kent." The doctor said. "Thank you," Clark told him as he headed to Celeste's room.

"Knock, Knock," Clark said while he actually knocked on the open door. Celeste looked from the television to Clark as she turned the volume down. "Clark! Oh, thank goodness. Some clothes, now I can get out of here." She said throwing off the covers before easing off the bed some. "Here you go," Clark said as he handed her the bag and watched her slowly walk into the bathroom.

He turned away as he began to speak. "I wanted to let you know that Mr. White said that he wants you to take a couple more days off. Just to make sure you're back to before. His words, not mine." Clark said as he held his hands up while still turned away. "Just rest up. Your job isn't going anywhere." "I don't want to just lay around, but I am still a bit sore. Okay, fine. I'll rest for two more days. Thankfully at home." C.C. said getting dress, with the door cracked open a bit. "So, are you busy tonight?" She asked, pausing from slipping on her shirt to wait for her answer.

Clark blinked as he was taken aback by her question. "Um, no. Why?" He answered her with a question right back. Celeste finished slipping on the shirt before she walked out dressed, minus her tennis shoes. He wondered why she stopped speaking when he felt a gentle tap on the shoulder. Clark turned and felt his breath get caught in his throat. How could a woman make a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt look so good? She gave him a look and exhaled a bit. "Because I was wondering if you would like to stay over to keep me company. We could get something delivered and talk." She told him before going to the bed to get her tennis shoes to slip on.

He watched her sit on the bed as moved slow to grab the shoes to put on. Before she could blink, he moved a bit quicker next to her and put her socked feet in his lap. "Oh.  And what would we talk about?" He asked her while putting on her shoes and tying them up before placing her feet down. "Us," C.C. told him as they sat there for a minute. Clark knew he wanted to spend time with her any way he could. Especially after that intense dream, he had last night. "Sure. Let's get you home." Clark said getting up the moment the nurse wheeled the chair in and helped her in it.

They finally arrived at her apartment and got on the elevator headed up to her apartment. Celeste had called for a Mexican dinner to be delivered to her place. She made sure to call them when they were on their way to her apartment, so the food would arrive soon after. The both of them were unusually quiet as they got off the elevator and walking to her door. The moment she unlocked it and invited him inside, the delivery woman was getting off another elevator down the hall.

Clark paid for the food as she took it and got it prepared on plates while he closed and locked the door. "Let's eat in the living room, Clark. I want to be comfortable." She said as she handed him his food and drink. She grabbed her as she reached for the remote and turned on the TV, but putting the volume low so they wouldn't have to talk over. "Okay, I'll start," Clark said as he took a bite out of his food. "What do you need to talk about, Celeste?"

Celeste ate some as well before she spoke. "Us." She simply said. "You mentioned that before. But what about us?" Clark said he worried where this was going as he picked at his steak fajita salad. Celeste placed her plate down on the coffee table before she turned completely on the couch to face him. "It's about that kiss. It's also about you and Superman." She sighed as she looked up at him. Clark clicked his teeth, glancing down in his lap as he studied his hands ringing each other.

"Let me guess. This is about the fact that you want to be the damsel in distress to Superman. That you want to do a story about for the front page of the Daily Planet." He said trying not to get worked up as he stopped fidgeting with his hand. He removed his glasses before looking back at her.

"No, that's not even close to what I am about to say. So, unless one of your powers is mind reading I suggest you stop trying to put words in my mouth!" Celeste said angrily before she stood up and walked to the door. "I think you need to go. I'll be fine. And don't worry about work. I can catch the bus then the train. Have a good night, Clark." She said as she looked away from him as her hand remained on the door.

Clark stood up slowly while his face showed total shock at the situation. He carefully stepped up to her and gently placed his hand over hers while she continued to grip the doorknob. "I'm sorry, Celeste. I didn't mean to assume. I-I just don't know what to expect from you and this, now you know." Clark apologized and eased closer to her, letting his strong body relax against hers. He leaned in near her hair as he inhaled the sweet smell. "It's just I have to protect myself because I have been here before."

Celeste closed her eyes at the sturdy, hard rock feel of his chest and arm so close to her body. "You mean with Lois." She stated instead of asked. "Yes. Lois. And when she made her choice I had to admit I was jealous of myself. I know I shouldn't have been. But I was. And it seems you're ready to make that choice, aren't you?" He said softly, guiding her hand to
close the door. The door clicked when it locked, while he waited on her answer.

"Yes, I am." She said. Clark felt defeated as his head and shoulders fell downwards at her words. He took a deep breath and turned to face her. "And your choice is?" He asked, looking at her, his blue eyes saddened. Celeste moved in closer. She placed her hands over his chest before looking up at him. "I want you. I choose you, Clark Kent." She spoke carefully before moving in to kiss him.