Chapter 31

(At Smallville General Hospital)

Clark was at Celeste's side as she was given epidural before her c-section. "Will she be okay?" Clark as he slipped his glasses up on the bridge of his nose while he watched Celeste slump some. He grew worried as he felt the grip in her hand lessen while he held on. "Mr. Kent she'll be fine. The epidural in her spine will ease the pain as we open her up to get the babies. " The doctor said as his team went over to Celeste and got her ready to lay down and start. "With multiples, they usually come early. Because if they went to the full nine months, they would get too big and possibly harm the mother. Nature knows how to handle their arrival." He said as a surgical nurse moved Clark away for a moment as she got an oxygen mask ready for Celeste.

Their hands slowly broke away as he looked helplessly. "Mr. Kent, can you leave for a moment while we get her ready?" The nurse said. Clark's face fell as she smiled. "Don't worry when we're ready, we'll come to get you and have you re-scrubbed and back at her side." He nodded as he slipped out the doors and leaned against the wall. He took off his scrub hat as he made his way to the waiting room where his parents were.

When he got to the waiting room they were in the middle seats while they were surrounded by lots of people waiting. "Ma. Pa." Clark said softly as he stepped up to them. "Clark." They both said as they stood up and went to their only son. "How is she?" Jonathan said. "She's fine so far. They are putting her to sleep and prepping her for the c-section. They'll call be me back in once they are ready." He said as he tried to remain calm.

"Clark, Celeste will be fine. She will be up and holding her babies in no time." Martha smiled at him as she patted his cheek. Clark exhaled as he nodded. "I know, Ma. It's just that I'm afraid. This is all new to me." He whispered to them both as he looked off some. "I never thought I could or would be able to have a family of my own. To know that it was possible for me to be able to see beings like me that carry my birth planet inside as I do." He told them looking back at them. "And to find someone who was born on this planet to give that gift to me. Well, that was a dream. Until now."

"Mr. Kent?" A voice called from behind, causing Clark and his father to look up. There at the door, stood an assistant surgical nurse smiling at them. "Your wife is ready." The nurse said before Clark looked back at his parents then turned to walk where the male nurse stood. "Clark!" Someone yelled as he glanced to see Mari rush through the doors with Bruce in tow. "Clark." She said softly then hugged him. Clark looked down as he smiled. "Is she okay? Has she had the babies yet?" Mari asked in one breath. "No, Mari. She hasn't. I was just about to leave to go be with her." He told her before he extended a hand to shake Bruce's." Hey, Bruce." "Clark." Bruce nodded, shaking Clark's hand back.

"These are my parents. Martha and Jonathan Kent. Ma. Pa. This is Bruce Wayne." Clark pretended to introduce them in front of the other people in the room. "Hello, Mr. Wayne," Martha said shaking his hand, even though they properly met after the Doomsday battle. "Hi. Mr. Wayne." Jonathan said as he shook the man's hand also. "Tell her, we're here," Mari said as tears filled her eyes.

"She's probably halfway out of it, but I will let her know," Clark said as he let her go to walk with the nurse. Mari and Bruce sat down with the Kents as they waited for the arrival of Clark's and Celeste's babies.

Clark was re-scrubbed and back at Celeste's side as they had her halfway sedated. She blinked at him as the blush-green sheet blocked their view from what was going on. "Mari and Bruce are here as well as my parents," Clark said to her as she glanced at him wearily. "Okay."  She mumbled.

He inhaled then exhaled sharply as he held her right hand in his left and smooth her brow with his right. "They are okay as well also." He stated. "What about you?" She said in a weak tone. Clark just stared at her. His blue eyes locking with her light brown ones as the silence between them was deafening. He listened to the beeps and the doctors talk in medical lingo as he sighed. He looked to the side before he took off his glasses and sat up straight. "I'm scared." He whispered to her.

Celeste just waited for him to continue while he could feel the burning sensation of tears brimming his eyes. " I'll never forget the image of you -." He sniffed some, still holding her hand. "Of you lifeless. And with the crystal deep ins- in you. I don't know if I should be selfish and keep you with me. I think that sometimes maybe I should have never come into your life." He looked away. "That may be having someone to love, really does harm them more than help me not feel so alone in the world. I've never truly felt like this Celeste. To have this chance, right in front of me and know I have to let it go."

Celeste began to shed tears, match Clark's as she was about to say something. "Clark,-." She begins when they both hear a high pitch wail, followed by the doctor. "It's a boy." Clark turns his head as he uses his x-ray vision to see through the curtain. "He's strong and fine," Clark says with laughter through his tears. Celeste laughs also when the doctors spoke again as another wail is heard. "It's a girl. Mr. Kent. Would you like to cut the cord from your son and daughter?"

Clark looks back to Celeste as she nods, still crying. "Go ahead." She mouths. Clark slips on glasses as he stands up to see the doctor and the head nurse holding both his son and daughter. The male nurse hands him the surgical scissors and steps out the way. Clark snips where the doctor instructs before they take the babies off to clean while the doctor fixes Celeste back up. Clark sits back down as Celeste puts on a smile. "Go with the babies. I will see you later." Clark looks at her and sees her head turned away as he gets up and goes with their children.

(Three days later at Kent family farm)

"A baby girl and baby boy," Mari said as she and Bruce were the last to visit Celeste and Clark as Celeste was on bed rest for a few weeks. "Congratulations, Mama." Mari as they hugged softly. "Yes, congratulations, Celeste and Clark," Bruce said as he carefully hugged her also. " Thank you." Clark and Celeste said. "Um, you're welcome." Bruce said." "No," Celeste said as she looked up at the couple. "Thank you to you two, Diana, Barry, and John. For everything." She said as they knew what she meant. "I mean I know the babies did a lot, but you all being there for them and with them, side by side, means more than you'll ever know." Mari and Bruce stood there speechless as Bruce cleared his throat and repeated his words once again. "As I said before, you're welcome." "Yeah, C.C., anytime." Mari agreed. 'Well, we need to go. We got a plane waiting for us to take us back to Gotham." Bruce said as he shook Clark's hand and gave Celeste a kiss on the cheek. Mari hugged and kissed Clark on the cheek before doing the same to her dear friend.

Clark walked them out as Celeste smiled at Jonathan and Martha both talking to the babies in their arms. She closed her eyes at the sweet sounds from the babies as well as their grandparents. She remained still as she sensed stealth-like movement. "Clark, we need to talk." She said. "How did you know it was me?" He answered.

Celeste opened her eyes as she looked to see Clark sitting on the edge of the bed, staring right at her. "I don't know, but I knew I could feel you nearby. I could feel you even faraway. It's like how we are when we make love. But that's a topic for another day. What I want to talk about is what you said to me before our children were born." Clark ran a hand over his face as sighed. "Celeste, I-." 

Celeste shook her head as she began to cry. "Don't Celeste, I- me, Clark Kent, Sr. You basically told me that you feel that by saving me you need to let me go. And you said it the moment I was giving birth to our children." She stated to him as she sat up more. "Clark Kent. Kal-El. Superman. I don't give a damn who is really saying this. I don't care if you all three are in agreement. I will be damned if I lose you in any way, shape, or form that doesn't require death do us part. You are my husband. You are my love. You are the father of my children. You are my life! Do you hear!" She yelled at Clark.