Chapter 11

(Two days later)

Perry loved the pictures from Jimmy and the article/ interview from Clark. He was impressed with the subscriptions for online and the renewals for the paper thanks to the word about the article, the interview, and all-out color spread that guaranteed continued success for the Daily Planet.  With this great news, Perry called Clark in his office for a talk.

 "Yes, Mr. White?" Clark addressed him as he stepped inside and pushed up his glasses. "Please, seat down Kent," Perry said as he ran a hand through his hair and looked down at the papers before him. "I have gone through the sheets and the numbers are great," Perry said with a smile. "I heard the party was fantastic, even though a former employee of mine seemed to be distasteful." He said as he gave a sigh. "Well you Mr. White, Lois will be Lois," Clark said as he cleared his throat and adjusted his glasses.

"Yeah, well she left and didn't give her job, the company, or even me a second thought. And for what? To join her new hubby's entertainment corporation to be the head tv journalist." Perry huffed as he loosened his tie out of frustration. "Well, Perry, she got her story and reported it like the rest of us," Clark replied trying to be the good guy as usual. "Well, Clark, she did get her story. But not like you did and not the one on one interview with Wayne himself. And I heard that you and C.C. were the talk of the party. I heard she turned several heads including Wayne himself." Perry smiled at Clark as he watched him rolled his eyes halfway.

"Yeah, I remember. I was there." Clark grumbled as he folded his arms. Perry leaned back in his chair and began to observe his number one reporter. "So, how long?" Perry asked him. Clark came back from his thoughts as he unfolded his arms, looking at his boss confused. "I said how long, Kent?" Perry repeated the question. Clark shifted in his seat as while his eyes averted Perry's. "I don't know-." Clark began.

"Don't say you don't what I'm talking about Clark. I have been working at the Daily Planet since I was younger than Jimmy. Then spent a lot of my years being just the editor of this great paper. By the time we came into the 21st century, it was about to be bought out I was headed for retirement when I and my wonderful wife decided to take all of our earnings and bought the Daily Planet. I am smart enough to let my wife not only be a silent partner and help run the financial part. I  knew that she was right to move this place into the next century if we wanted to survive." Perry explained as he leaned forward and rested his elbows and arms on top of his desk. "And you still look young enough to work along with the rest of us," Clark commented. Perry just smiled at him before continuing on.

"Now, I knew about all the stuff with Lois and Superman when they were still at the beginning of whatever they were." He said as cleared his throat. "And even though that wasn't an office romance, I was surprised it wasn't you two." He admitted. Clark gave Perry a look of surprise as he leaned forward himself. "Lois and me? Really?" "Yeah, I thought you two had chemistry," Perry said. "I don't think so, Perry. I remember Lois telling me once that she saw me as a brother. Someone that she showed the ropes to. To look up to. And that was after I asked her out. She said Superman was more of her type. Back then anyway. " He mumbled off to himself.

Perry just gave a nod as he continued on. " But now I see you with C.C. and noticed the chemistry between you two. It was more with you and her and than could have ever been with Lois. Well, the point is I give you both my blessing. And the reason I really called you in was to tell you that you have earned some time off." Clark sat up in his seat with a small smile as he couldn't believe the news. 

"Really?" He asked. "Yeah, take as much as you need. And it won't count against your vacation." "I wanted to ask you to take some time off anyway," Clark told him before pausing. "Are you sure, boss?" "I'm sure. Besides, I think it's time Jimmy did a little guest reporting in your place. Just to get his feet wet. Of course, he'll be pulling double duty with his photography." Perry nodded. "So, go and have fun." Clark stood up as he gave Perry White a wide grin.

 "I will, and thanks." He said hurrying up to open the door when he noticed a sophisticated African-American woman walked to the door. "Hi, Yolanda. Bye Yolanda." Clark rushed as he went past her to Celeste's desk and pulled her to her feet. The woman stood at the door as she watched Clark plant a sizzling kiss squarely on her mouth before whispering in her ear.

Celeste just looked at him dazed as he talked to her ear, causing her to smile. Celeste glanced up in Yolanda's direction and waved before the two of them packed up then closed down their desks before hurrying off to the elevator. Yolanda just smiled before she heard a voice from behind. "Is there something you need, Yolanda?" Perry spoke to her causing her to glance over her shoulder a bit before turning to walk into his office.

Yolanda just gave him a smile while she shut and locked the door from behind before she walked up to the front of Perry's desk. "I needed to see you. You didn't call and I was worried." She told him with concern. "I'm fine. I meant to call you but I had a meeting with Kent." He told her as he walked up to her and slid his arms around her curvy waist. "You know what this means ,Perry?" Yolanda playfully scolded him as she linked her arms around his neck, playing with the thick dark hair that hung at his nape.

Perry smiled as he knew what had to be done for not sneaking a call to her between his working all day. "Dinner at a restaurant of your choice. Tonight." He told her as her brown eyes sparkled while they stared at his blue ones. "Yes, that's correct. And what else." She demanded. "Do I have to say it?" He playfully begged. "Yes, Perry, you do." She stated. Perry looked up a bit before he let his eyes settle back onto her face as he let his voice drop some. "I will make sure to call you more often and to never have you worry more than I should. And that you are my one and only heartbeat. My goddess from above.Is that better, Yolanda?" He asked her as he slowly moved his face to hers. "Much better, Perry."She happily mumbled as he closed into kiss her.

Perry pulled her closer as his kiss left her breathless. They pulled apart as he held onto her tightly and she leaned into his chest. "I love you so much, Mr. White." Yolanda sighed as she fingered his collar. "I love you too, " Perry said as he smiled, feeling happy and content with the great week he was having.