Chapter 73

My knuckles ache and burn as I beat the punching bag with no intention of stopping. Sweat drips off my skin as I pant out even breaths.

I have to get stronger, I have to be able to protect instead of the one being protected. I don't want to be good for nothing.

My face scrunches in anger as I kick the bag before going back to punching. I'm weak, and that's not going to slide. I don't want to be weak anymore.

Shaking out my hand I feel my knuckle split as blood starts to drip from the newly opened wound. "Why do I smell blood?" Grey sighs turning his head over his shoulder to glance at me.

Glaring I look at him as he calmly lays on the ground, his hands propped up behind him.

"You told me-" I huff out a breath. "-I could do what I wanted as long as you were here." Pausing for a moment I wrap my arm around the bag resting my head on it briefly. "So I'm training. Cuts are just collateral damage. I'll heal."

Out of the corner of my eye I watch him stand up slowly which is my cue to go back to what I was doing.

He stands a few feet away for a second before telling me to widen my stance. Shuffling my feet further apart I continue where I left off.

He hums quietly making my eyes flicker over to him. My anger rises with his silent contemplation.

I look away knowing if I keep dwelling on the thought that he's critiquing me silently, I'm not going to be able to get my mind off of it.

Biting my lip I swing my arms harder, faster, my skin continuing to split open on my knuckles. My bones repeatedly crashing on the rough surface.

I zone out into my hits, so when I feel my wrist being caught mid swing my heart jumps into my throat.

Panting heavily I watch with narrowed eyes as Greyson unclenches my fist forcibly with his hand. He turns my own to each side examining my bloodied and bruised knuckles. "If you keep going your going to break your hand," he sighs peering up to me. "Let's call it a night."

"I'm fine," I take my hand out of his instantly clenching it once again.

When I turn away from him and square back up, he grabs the back of my neck with enough force to grab my attention, but not enough for it to hurt. "It's already 3 am, just stop tonight."

"No," I smack his arm away which makes him growl lowly. I know he means well, I do. But I'm weak, I'm not who I used to be.

I used to be the badass Luna who could beat anyone in spar. Now I'm fragile, now I lose, now I'm weak. I don't like it. I don't want to be like this anymore.

"Listen," he sighs looking down to me. "I know you want to train, I know you want to get back to your old self. But over exerting yourself and breaking bones won't help you improve, Willa. Tomorrow we can work more, but now you need to rest."

Lowering my eyes I watch the skin on my hands slowly patch itself up. If they're still healing, then I should keep fighting.

Determined for improvement I don't listen. Turning my body away from him, my fist clenches, and I swing. Though he catches my wrist once again before I can land anything.

"You're too stubborn for your own good," he sighs yanking me away from the bag. Stumbling, I somehow shake off his grasp stabling myself. I glare at him which only makes his amusement increase. Somehow this situation is frustrating for him but also amusing. Good to know I could give him some entertainment.

Sighing I stare at him watching his emotions wade through his eyes. He stands in front of the punching bag so if I want to get to it, I have to go through him.