Chapter 18: Broken Julien

I was sleeping when suddenly I heard the doorbell echo in my house. I groaned, then slightly opened my eyes to look in the direction of the window. It was dark outside. My eyes drifted to the clock that was set on my nightstand.

It was three freaking o'clock in the morning!

"Who the hell can it be?" I mumbled as my hand reached my forehead. I sighed, then pushed the blanket off me. I stood up while rubbing my eyes. I could hear my mother walking down the corridor. I walked to the door and opened the door.

"You woke up too" My mother sighed while shaking her head.

"Why is someone at our door at three in the morning?" I whined in annoyance. I hated when people would disturb my sleep. The door bell rang again.

"How would I know?" my mother asked while rolling her eyes. Oh yes. My mother tended to be grumpy when we interrupt her sleep too.

Daughter like mother.

"Come on" I said, after I yawned. I by passed her, then walked down the stairs, yawning again. I turned around to look at my mother who was following behind. I then walked to the front door. The door bell kept on ringing.

"Wait for me" my mother scolded when I was about to open the door.

"Why?" I asked.

"What if it's a thief?" she questioned, making me laugh.

"Yes. A thief is going to ring the door bell" I muttered sarcastically. My mother rolled her eyes again. "You scold me because I roll my eyes but you do it all the time" I pointed out as she came next to me.

"I'm the mother and you're the daughter" she simply said, making me chuckle. She opened the door and what was behind was confusing.

Julien was on his knees, with his head looking towards the floor. Something was wrong. I quickly fell on my knees too. I gently lifted his face to look at him.

"Julien?" my mother asked, worry lacing her voice. A gasp left my lips when I saw his face. His eyes were blue and blood was rolling down the corner of his lips. Tears rolled down his cheeks, making me sob. I was now crying too. I couldn't see the people I love in pain.

"What happened to you?" I asked while crying. I gently held his face in my hands. I turned to look at my mother who was staring in shock. Julien was looking at me. I could see the pain in his eyes. My mother took his hand in hers and helped him off the floor. I stood up as well, then closed the door once we were in the house.

"Bring the first aid kit" My mother ordered as she walked to living room with Julien. I wiped my tears but I was still sobbing as I ran to take the first aid kit. Once I got the kit, I ran to the kitchen and took a bowl of water with a piece of towel then ran back to the living room.

"I don't want to go there again" I heard Julien say to my mother. It was the first time I saw Julien crying. His voice was laced with pain. I gave my mother the kit and the bowl, then sat next to Julien. I took his hand in mine, rubbing it smoothly.

"Calm down" I whispered and watched as my mother cleaned his wound.

"Once I'm done with cleaning your wound, go to sleep in the guest room" My mother said. "You definitely need rest. We'll talk about it tomorrow" she continued. My mother sighed, then pecked his forehead.

"Thank you, Mrs Jenkins" Julien sighed.

"You're welcome, sweetheart" my mother whispered then started walking to the stairs. "You both go to sleep now" she ordered, leaving Julien and I in the living room. Julien yawned, then winced.

"You're sleeping in my room" I told him, then helped him to stand up. When Julien used to stay over, we would both sleep on the same bed. Why wouldn't he now? He nodded as we both walked to the stairs. I could see him clutching on his stomach. Maybe he was hit there too. Once we were in front of the door of my room, Julien leant against the whole while I opened the door. "I'm going to look for one of your shirt and short that you left behind" I told him as I motioned him to walk in the room. I could see him limping slightly. He sat on the bed as I shuffled in my wardrobe to look for his clothes.

"Luna" I turned to look at Julien. His eyes were teary. "Thank you" he simply said. I knew that he was referring to the fact that my mother and I looked after him.

"You're like my brother, Julien. I'll always be here for you and you don't need to thank me for that" I told him, then finally pulled out a shirt and a short. I sat next to him, then offered him a reassuring smile. "Go change and sleep a little bit" I said. He took the clothes, then slowly walked to the bathroom. Once the door closed, a frown crept on my face. I had a vast idea on who might have done that. But why? Ella was going to freak out or cry the hell out when she would see Julien. I sighed, then took another pillow to put next to mine so that Julien could sleep. I got on the bed, then waited for him to come. He walked in shirtless, then motioned me to look at his stomach. He had several bruises.

"Don't cuddle with me" he tried to joke. The thing was that, there was nothing funny. I simply shook my head, then motioned him to get on the bed.

"If you need anything, just tell me, okay?" I said and he nodded his head while getting on the bed.

My sleepy self was gone. Worry for my best friend replaced it.