~ Back In My Day ~

Summary: Peter becomes very ill whilst his parents, Tony and Pepper, are in Australia so Steve has to look after him.

----

"He's resting now, Bruce just gave him some strong cough syrup which should kick in pretty soon. Poor kid's burning up, though." Steve told the couple over the phone, Peter had gotten very sick with bronchitis, however Tony and Pepper were away on a vacation/business trip to Australia for the week.

"Oh no, will he be okay?" Tony asked, deeply concerned for his son's health, wishing he could be there by his side.

"He should be fine, he just needs to take it easy for a while, no school. That sort of thing." Steve told them.

"Aww, my poor Baby." Pepper cooed sadly, she too just longed to be home to comfort her sick son, but it wasn't that simple. Even if they decided to leave early it would take a long time to arrive back home.

"Don't worry guys, everything is under control. I can take care of Peter." Steve said, he didn't want them stressing too much, he understood that they would be feeling for their son.

"Are you sure?" Tony asked.

"I'm sure, and if I so need any help I have Bruce here with me and if need be we can call Doctor Cho. We got this." Steve said.

"Alright, I trust you. Oh yeah, make sure that you give Peter his stuffed panda toy, it always makes him feel better." Tony added, Steve thought that was adorable.

"Will do, I'll update you every couple hours. Try to enjoy your trip." Steve said before hanging up. His motherly instincts kicked in and he went to fill up a bowl with cold water, then he grabbed a clean wash cloth and soaked it in the water which he took with him to Peter's room. Steve lightly knocked three times.

"Peter, is it alright if I come in?" He called out, all he could hear was whimpering behind the door, that broke his heart.

"I'm coming in Pete, okay?" Steve said as he slowly opened the door, revealing an extremely pale Peter in his bed. He was strapped into the sheets, lying on his back with his upper body elavated to allow him to breathe better. He let out a couple chesty coughs, they sounded really painful.

"Aww Queens." Steve cooed softly, feeling sad for the boy. He placed the bowl on his bedside table and rung out the wash cloth, he dabbed it over Peter's forehead to try and soothe his fever. The sick boy started shaking a little.

"C-Cold." He croaked out, his voice weak and raspy.

"I know Peter, but we gotta get that fever down." Steve said, using his free hand to brush through his brown curls. His mother used to do this to him when he was sick it would always calm him down, being a sickly child that happened often which wasn't great.

"I know how you feel, Peter. I was always sick when I was your age, plus I had quite bad asthma." Steve told the boy.

"D-Did you guys *cough cough cough* have medicines and stuff?" Peter asked.

"How old do you think I am?" Steve chuckled, putting the cloth back in the water to cool down again.

"Yeah, we had medicines. Healthcare has improved a lot since my time. Back in my day, the flu was strong enough to kill you, I mean it still is but it's much less likely nowadays with the treatments on offer." Steve told the young boy, dabbing his forehead again with the cool cloth.

"Your nose is all runny." Steve said, noticing that the boy had been sniffing a lot and his upper lip was all red with irritation.

"I know." Peter sighed, his arm snaked out of his sheets and reached for the tissue box next to him. He grabbed on and put it to his nose, giving it a good blow before wiping away the excess mucus he brought up. Steve picked up the trash can beside the bed so that Peter could live out his fake basketball fantasies and toss the tissue inside, he didn't miss.