54. The Finger Of Suspicion

Apart from the time he spent with Tasia, Cassian was still occupied with work. But it had nothing to do with his obligations as the only prince of Hares.

But still, the king was gloomy.

"You let your two advisors handle so much work? Your work?!"

'Yeah, that was just unforgivable...'

But...

"I've dedicated myself to Liliana's case..."

"That has nothing to do with you directly!" Rhys' eyes glared menacingly at him and like this, he truly resembled a king, a ruler, above everything.

"She's currently under control and has no option to escape, so you better think about your duties as the prince."

Liliana could never be under control. Even if she was currently separated from the other priests and in the royal prison, an unbelievable exception for any priest to be imprisoned by the king, she still was dangerous.

Cassian couldn't just leave things like that.

"But, Your Majesty..."

"And of course, before your esteemed self decides to swap some duties with others do feel comfortable to tell me in advance, prince."

Ha... Was he still angry about what happened two weeks ago?

Cassian couldn't help it. He wasn't the chosen one and the king's great plan had failed. His successor wasn't blessed by Leya. Cassian was only capable of using regenerating magic, which seemed not to be enough for the king.

But what was worse was that Tasia appeared to have lost her magic as well. She wasn't able to use light and even with trying to keep it under wraps Cassian had found out.

His sister had probably lost Leya's blessings too.

Too bad, because it seemed the king was about to make her useful to Hares as well...

"I don't trust your acquaintances, Cassian." He then added.

'...Ha? What...What the hell did this mean?'

To Cassian's bewildered expression he then proceeded, "Watch over that girl closely."

"You don't mean... Rinea. She's not suspicious. If she held any threat to the throne, then you mean captain Leo is involved too."

"What I mean is not your business right now, prince." He met Cassian's eyes with an unreadable expression and then sighed.

"You will learn... That even friends can betray you, the king. And it better be sooner, Cassian."

"Rinea has never betrayed me, Your Majesty."

"So, you mean that the lies she has made so far are something completely clear to you?"

'...Lies?'

"I believe this said everything."

The king stood from his seat on the throne and crossed his hands before his chest.

"The one to choose this was no other than you, Cassian. You decided to take the role of the Crown prince. Do it more precisely."

The role of the Crown prince...

He didn't really know why he decided to take it apart from...

'Revenge.'

He wanted to avenge all of his mother's, Tasia's, and his miserable days caused by Liliana. And he thought it was worth signing this 'contract'. He would become the next ruler, a man of few words and many enemies, in exchange for what he had been wishing for all his life.