78. Dangerous Light Against Majestic Rigor

"You have sinned too much. Lady Rinea del Hera."

Rinea barely managed not to burst into laughter when she heard the king's words.

Sinned too much?

Well, if that wasn't the understatement of the century...

She had helped the number one reason for the king's headaches these several weeks...Well, if she was to be completely honest, it may be even years. The king and Liliana had never demonstrated any friendly relationship between each other in public.

It was even safe to say they the two might even resent each other as well.

And Rinea had released that person – the criminal all Hares wished to see the execution of.

Didn't that make the girl as guilty as her?

'Yeah, why didn't I think of that up till now?'

And to call her a Hera?

'Oh, please, everybody knows how much Hera's blood I have in my veins.'

But Rinea was still chained. Though before her a trembling Hugo was crawling on the floor, she was still restrained by his chains.

'I have to...'

Her ability to hear even the tiniest sounds made her aware of the soldier's movements behind her. In a instant she moved and blocked his deadly strike.

'Too slow.'

"Is that all you can do?"

The chain emitted a jarring, grinding sound that filled the stilled hall. Their faces were inches apart and Rinea could see the clear resentment in the soldier's eyes.

"Temporary...captain of the commoners' squadron..." He mumbled through his teeth.

'Oh, that again...'

Leo's squadron was known as the commoners' squadron. Soldiers seemed to raise their too big self-esteem by naming the knights who were out of their league like that.

Was he now trying to make Rinea feel down?

'What a fool.'

But then all her thoughts melted away from her mind as an abrupt scream as if coming from an wild beast and not from a human cut through the air.

"...I WON'T LET YOU IDLE AND CAUSE TROUBLE!"

...

Rinea's eyes snapped widely open as if up till now they had been closed.

What...

'What the...'

This was too much, it was...

What was going on? This didn't seem to be only about her releasing Liliana. It was too suspicious that the soldiers had caught on any news about her becoming a traitor, to begin with. Unless...

His deep resentment, this utter disgust Rinea sensed the other soldiers felt...

Were there...

Were there any other rumors about her?

She had become accustomed to being the talk on the aristocrats' tea parties. She was too much of a troublemaker and since causing problems was Leo's specialty, she felt a little proud when she was doing so. But this was...

Out of control.

Rinea's hands were shaking, she remotely realized as the chain seemed to have come closer to her face. The chain that was now her hand-made shield was slowly betraying her...No, her hands...her body...