57. She Who Hesitates

Tara snorted with indignance at the man before her with slightly narrowed eyes.

"You left her again, didn't you? Bad boy!"

The knight grinned at her with a toothy smile.

"You know I care about that sweety, but sometimes there's just too much work to do."

"And she doesn't have enough to do so that you make her take your duties as well? Geez, Leo, she just became free from the prince's duties when he returned and you too?"

"...Great disappointment, right?"

"The greatest."

He chuckled, squeezing her hand gently, "I wish I had the time I wanted to spend with you two, but these days..."

"Troubled times, huh?"

"Damn it, if I cou..."

"NO!" Tara yelled.

"What?" He stared at her with a puzzled expression.

"Nothing good starts with 'if I could...'." She glared at him.

"Okay, okay, I understand," he raised his hands in defeat.

"By the way, how's the baby?"

His hand moved to the place where her stomach was under the sheets. The way he looked at her with a loving expression hadn't changed even a bit, regardless of the fact that now there was one person more to their trio.

It melted her heart to think that he didn't expect anything for her but actually needed only her. And this wasn't because of the presence of Rinea, he was behaving like that all the years she had known him for.

She cupped his head with her hands and gazed at him.

"You are looking at me as if looking at the damn starry sky," he laughed joyfully.

"Maybe. Maybe you are my one and only star."

Now her heart couldn't bear it, so she decided to tell him later.

To tell him later that the king was suspicious of Rinea's doings these days.

First things happened all the time. First birth, first love, and kiss. First festival, first job. First dance as an adult.

Rinea had experienced her first dance five and a half months after she had turned fourteen. It was because her birthday was in December and Leo as the overprotective papa-bear he was stated she was too young to attend so many balls. High society wasn't a pleasant place for her.

She didn't mind that, though. The only reason for her to attend was the prince. In fact, she found some chaos in this noisiness and unpleasant meetings, talks and ugly smiles.

Having spent so many lone nights, the girl preferred to show others warmth, so that they would show her what being visible and liked was. But it was too much.

It wasn't that long she realized she preferred eating the most terrible dish than spending time in such a noisy place. Not that she resented balls or something, but she didn't like them.

After the last ball ending the most famous festival in Hares Rinea hadn't had the chance to go out much. But when there came to opportunity to leave the Main Palace and training grounds to look for a jewelry store, she came to a certain realization.

And a conclusion.

The time spent in working was always pleasant and good-spent. She had never thought of it as tiring or even exhausting. But having the chance to go out, she found herself exhale with somewhat relief.