44. The Expected End

She had pierced him with daggers made of light.

Liliana had led the battle since the time Cassian had given her the chance to overcome his shadows.

'Ha, dammit, I'm so, so stupid!'

It shouldn't have come to this. To this moment when he had no longer the strength to hold on. To help her. He had to take care of the saintess, so that Tasia would carry out the plan she had in her own mind. Cassian was simply bothering her, not helping at all.

"Ah! What's this? Someone is tired, huh?" Liliana's face brightened with a mocking light.

'Tch, I'm so pathetic!'

"Is this the time for self-regretting, prince?"

Cassian's eyes snapped open as he hadn't even realized how he had let himself close them, and growled unconsciously towards her. From his crawling self on the cold floor, it didn't feel, nor did it seem a bit brave to the eye, but still, he was angry.

"I thought you were going to kill me. But the way you just keep going on about this and that makes me seriously doubt your commitment."

As if cold water was poured on Liliana, her face suddenly broke. Her control was holding in a terribly thin line that seemed to have just been cut.

"You, little..."

'Ah, I knew I shouldn't have said that, but I've always wanted to say it anyway.' He thought with a big smile on his face.

"Tch, you look pathetic, Cass! How are you even my flesh and blood when you have this stupid smile on your face!" Icy voice snapped and in the nick of the time a figure appeared before him, protecting him from the light.

The dangerous, lethal light, given to Liliana from Atra, the goddess of war.

"T-TASIA! WHATA ARE YOU..."

...

...Huh?

H-His light, no, his sun... His sister, she...

Tasia, a child of light and brightness. A girl, bathed in the light mana, meant to kill the boy...

In the midst of chaos she turned her head towards him and with only half of her face visible to him, she smiled. Tasia's mouth widened in the most beautiful smile Cassian had ever seen.

She was absorbing Liliana's mana, there was no other way for her to be standing like that and still be alive.

'M-My s-sun...'

"How could you think I'll just abandon you like that? You fool."

Then she closed her eyes and suddenly the surroundings seemed to have brightened even more. It was painful for the eye to force oneself to look, but Cassian kept staring at her with disbelief.

"Close your eyes, big brother. Everything will be over soon..."

Then, then, then...

She pulled together and ran to the enemy.

T-Tasia, she...

"...SISTER!"

It was over at last. And to think it lasted so little time...

The battle for the Main Palace had actually continued longer than this in the breather room. Once Gale had taken Rinea's unconscious body in his arms, his eyes scanned the surroundings and he saw people moving a bit. It wasn't everyone, but some had begun waking up.

'How fortunate that Rinea was with us and lent a great deal of help to us, so that we were able to stop those healers.'

Gale could do nothing but feel relieved and grateful towards the girl. He wasn't really sure what she did exactly, but it surely helped a lot.