81. Her Freedom

"You owe cute girl a whole lot, you know?"

"And here I thought I owe you a lot. After all, you were the one to make her do this."

Liliana's eyes followed the blind girl with unhidden curiosity.

"Nice try, but you won't gain anything. I'm not in the mood to chat."

The unseeing ruby eyes met her, though they were blank.

'She can't see me,' Liliana felt the need to assure herself.

But it couldn't be helped. In her presence Liliana felt overpowered in a way she couldn't comprehend, nor describe.

"I'm not fooling around. Just curiosity, that's all."

"Even if you wanted, you wouldn't be able to."

A little grin met the older woman.

"For your information, I prefer having my people by my side. And we lack some as of right now."

"You are waiting for her."

Liliana said it more like a statement than a question.

"Who wouldn't want such a talent by their side?"

"No, you want her for something else."

"Is that so?"

Liliana stood on the ground still chained since when she was deep into the royal dungeon and Rinea had broken into her cell.

The woman thought it was only for safety measurements. They might have decided to keep her like that since they feared her. Not that she wouldn't be able to use her magic in the Temple. There wasn't a non-magic area, draining her mana. If she was asked before, she would have said it wasn't a surprise as this was a very complicated spell and perhaps only that Arcana would be able to cast it.

But since she had begun sensing that little girl's presence and had finally met her the day before, she wasn't so sure anymore. With her outstanding abilities that girl might even not have to lift her finger and would be able to cast the spell.

Then, it was probably due to this girl's role in the escape plan.

"Don't you feel rage?"

The tone of her voice sounded so calm, even innocent when asking such an odd question.

"..."

"I was told you wanted to kill me. And when planning to bring you here, I was labeled as 'crazy' many times, you know?"

"..."

"But still. I thought, 'Why not?'. After all, you are not to blame. You are not responsible for what she had wished for."

The girl smiled brightly at her.

"Right? I have been thinking a lot about you. And I thought that if I was thrown into this harsh world so young, then why wouldn't that be the case with you too? But how unfortunate."

Her eyes seemed a bit lost in her thoughts, but at the same time expressed an unfamiliar to Liliana feeling. Something like pity or...

No, she didn't want to be pit...

"And since you are already an adult, then this must be terrible. I thought you were all alone all this time. And no one was beside you when you needed help the most."

'No, no, she isn't pitying me, she's...'

"I'm sure that I had felt the same way. But I must have had someone to hug me and tell me that everything would be alright. I know I cannot simply imagine to what extent this way of living must have hurt you, but..."

Her facial features softened even more as she added, "I gathered many mad people by my side just not to feel alone. You can become part of this crazy gang too if you want."

She was...

"I'm sure that I had felt the same way..."

"I know I cannot simply imagine to what extent this way of living must have hurt you..."

"You can become part of this crazy gang too..."

'She is...'

"And I should warn you beforehand that here you shouldn't' expect to see reasonability. We are the most illogical brains of this kingdom and we do not judge anyone."

She chuckled, "You have no idea how crazy we are. But we are family and when I thought about you...I was reminded of myself, you know? For some time, I persuaded myself that I had been alone and will always be. But they were here for me and made me feel at home..."

"I think you need the same. To have someone make you feel precious and loved. And believe me, there are a lot of people here. You will have the chance to create bonds and even escape from them..."

She laughed at the end, not continuing her speech.

'...offering me a home?'

"...Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why...why are you being so kind?"

"Oh...I don't know. It's not a charity business, that I can assure you at least. Maybe because you resemble me too much? I couldn't turn away when knowing about you."

"But, but...But I hurt you..."

"Oh, about that...perhaps I should tell I do not remember anything?" She said with somewhat questioning tone.

"So, I don't remember what you have done to me or anyone I have known before. But didn't hear me? You are not responsible for her wishes. What you have done is sinful, yes, but I do not care about that."

She grinned.

"Didn't you get it till now? We are all sinners here. Be it excommunicated, doing traitorous acts, relinquishing a knight's oath or even murdering people ...another sinner is nothing special at all."

The girl then waved slightly with her hand and the chains emitted cracking sounds, quickly being covered by ice. Soon enough before Liliana had the chance to blink more than twice they broke into many pieces reminding her of snowflakes, falling on the ground.

"I won't force you to stay here. You are free to go anywhere. Since I'm the loved by this nation's Fourth Saintess, but at the same time the Murderer of the Great Temple, I can hardly imagine myself being charged for assisting your escape. Let alone for you stealing the spotlight anytime soon. So, hurry up and live your life to the fullest."

The girl grinned, adding, "Atra won't disturb you anymore."