62. Negation And Disbelief

Callios had always been cunning, yet appeared to be just a funnily-joking old man on the surface. And now his appearance out of nowhere made Sylas curious, but also a bit restless. His coming to see the younger man had nothing good in it.

"You seem to be in good health. How's your adorable red-haired wife again?"

"Iria's just fine. You too seem to be as well. Unfortunately, I can't ask you the same question you did just now."

The clear hint that the other man had no wife as his children's mother had died after giving birth to Tara and he hadn't brought any other woman to be his duchess for all those years wasn't passed without notice. Though, as he had always been a smiling, jolly man, the old Callios laughed.

"You are as harsh as always, Talis."

"You also are as soft-spoken as ever, old Callios."

The old man looked around the office in a careless manner, "You have made yourself quite comfortable, it seems. The last time I was here, you didn't have a place to call an office."

Sylas frowned slightly, "I had, but..."

"It would have been an insult to any other office if you had done that," he stated with a grin.

"Well, there were many changes to the mansion after Iria finally settled down here."

"You are such a lucky man..."

"I don't even try to deny this fact."

Without Iria he was nothing. He had always been and would always be. Fortunately, the only woman made for him to put up with all of his annoying characteristics had changed her mind and accepted him.

Extreme luck or a blessing, Sylas didn't forget to thank Leya for bringing Iria back to him every single day.

"And you look like a stupid, lucky brat right now."

"It can't be otherwise. What have you come here for, Grand duke?"

Was it maybe...It might not be because of Tara's unborn child, but because of that mysterious person managing the fief in the old Callios' territory.

"You may have already heard about this. Rumors these days are out of control, sadly."

"I'm not really sure what you are referring to."

"My heir, of course. It's the most speculated topic these days when those two children of mine decided to refuse what was rightfully theirs."

"Should I be brought into this matter, though?"

"Oh, yes, you should," he laughed heartfully.

"They dragged you into this mess the moment they decided to rebel against me."

"Those people you are referring to are still one of my closest friends, so I suggest you watch your language, Your Grace."

"You are the other Grand duke and sadly, with more experience than me, so you are the only one to help me with this."

Passing by the obvious disregard of his own words, Sylas stared nonchalantly at the old Callios.

"What about?"

"I have been taking care of a very knowledgeable, bright person. Now that it has come to this, I want to provide this child with the best education."

"If you ask me for any suggestions about the school, you should also know that the best in Hares is right under your nose."

Callios had always been very indicative and proud of their wealth and noble rank, so their mansion in the capital was around the center of the city. Just before the Academy, one might say.