67. The Rise Of Hope

"What's that?"

"Hmmm... scran from the last time?"

Since it had been quite some time since Yuriel had gone become blind, her senses had sharpened a lot. Now the disgusting, sharp smell from something near made the girl almost faint. Good thing she was more resistant than that.

"The food has become rotten. We should throw it away even though I know your opinion of it..."

Aalya was strongly against wasting food. As she had told them she was originally from the outskirts of the Kingdom. Her coming to the capital was related to finding job as she didn't agree to be married off, so that her family wouldn't have another person to support. Aalya had been poor for all her life, so she respected food just as much as people worshiped the goddess.

"In fact, it can also be said that I like food much more than that."

In this case, Ellis and Aalya resembled each other a lot. Yuriel even looked at them as people who were necessary to be together. The woman was just no one, a person who was running away from her past. Ellis, on the other hand, seemed to possess a very cheerful personality and gentle nature, but such people were the loneliest. Yuriel knew very well that everyone like him sought attention, the same kindness they exuded in order to make others happy.

Aalya and Ellis seemed like two pieced of one broken heart. Fit for each other in a way no one would try to deny.

"...Well, it can't be helped...What, I don't want to poison someone, for heaven's sake!" She scoldingly exclaimed, making Yuriel chuckle.

It had begun with a very nice morning – like any other one people would have (but surely not Yuriel).

The nice scent of flowers hit the blind girl in a way it took away all her other senses and she unconsciously gasped.

"Oh, we like them, do we?" A very cheerful voice questioned.

Yuriel wasn't the one to be the open book out of all in their humble-numbered group in the Temple. And so, with the dignity of the one in two hundred years-chosen to be the representative of the only goddess in Hares, she scoffed and shrugged.

With an expression on her face of something in between of 'you have to be kidding me' and 'dream on' she answered calmly, "It's not my first time smelling something nice."

"Nice is quite the understatement. We have just encountered a unique existence here, in the Black market, even though this is meant to be illegal one..."

Ellis was a spec in doing his job. And surprisingly enough, it was hard to find what he wasn't good at.

So, when she asked out of curiosity if there was a place in this damn Kingdom where she could be shown some nice piece of art to use, or in her language said that meant weapons, he immediately offered her a ride.

"Sure enough here, in the Black market, the last thing I was thinking of seeing is flowers."

"Ha?! You don't even know how rare they are! These are Red Moons! They are thought to be as rare as the gems in the king's and Empress' crowns...!"

"It is as the young master said, Miss." A low, hard voice of an older man added in assistance.

Yuriel was about to walk away when something caught her attention.

"Red Moons? What an odd name..."

"Right?! They are immeasurably beautiful...But as you cannot see them, you can at least smell their amazing scent..." Ellis finished with such awkwardness that made Yuriel smile, though a bit bitterly.