41. In The Teeth Of A Paladin

"If you have been only interested in her, why did you try to kill me so many times?"

Cassian's question surprised Liliana, it seemed, because she frowned deep in thoughts.

"What's this question, prince? Of course, she's important, but so you are. I'm not sure who of you I should kill, so why don't just eliminate both of you then? Unlike a certain someone, I prefer not to bet on the unknown."

"If you had killed me back then, a year ago, Tasia wouldn't have come to Hares."

"Oh! Are you so sure, prince? Because I don't think so," she laughed as if his suggestion had been so stupid that had surprised her.

"She would have. Otherwise, how would she have succeeded to have her revenge?"

"My... My sister doesn't' seek revenge."

'What nonsense was she talking about?' Cassian felt that the last bit of patience was leaving him very fast.

'Tasia's not like that! Both of us want the same thing: for mum to be happy and save!'

"You seem quite ignorant and in an internal conflict, prince," Liliana stated with some kind of newfound interest.

"Well, it's not uncommon for twins to not know each other even though they wer..."

"You're wrong! I don't even know I'm still discussing this with you! Didn't you taught yourself a lesson the last time you tried to kill us? We care for each other! It's not just understandable, you cannot break us!"

Cassian no longer cared if the members of the Circle were in the room or if they knew anything about him or Tasia. He was aware that he should save some time for his twin to come, but he also was aware that it was time for answeres. But how was that even possible when she was playing on his nerves?

She was far from the truth because...

"Oh, dear, don't tell me you invited everyone but me."

Liliana's smile quickly faded and her face froze when a seemingly warm voice called out. The door had been opened while they were talking and a new person had entered uninvited.

"And you even summoned the prince when there were only members of the Circle? Well, I cannot tell it's surprising. You have always had poor manners..."

Due to the place he had been sit on with his back towards the entrance Cassian wasn't able to see the newcomer, nut he wouldn't be able to mistake this voice even after decades of not hearing it.

'Tasia...!'

"Tch, I understand we had some difficulties in our relationship, but still..."

Scarlet crossed her hands before her chest, showing some ripped off parts of her dress on the shoulders, and sighed, shaking her head in some kind of poorly disguised disappointment.

"It's not that hard to show your manners, you are the saintess of this very Kingdom. Well, of course, if you have manners that is."

Unconstrained by the cold and stern atmosphere, she walked calmly towards the table with her eyes widened.

"And you even gave everyone sweets, but not me?!" She looked at Liliana with an upset and hurt look.

"You, what are y..."

"So far in hopes of finding some good sides in you I think I found some bad sides in myself too. Naivety."

She shrugged carelessly and her unique colored eyes traveled to the deserts on the table. The girl took one of the plates and began eating.

Eating the poisoned cake!