6. Stranger Than Ever

The new prince didn't want to attend the Magic Academy in the capital of Hares and for more than a year he did what he wanted. Private tutors were brought to the Saphire Palace and all were more than amazed by the knowledge the boy possessed.

"He's indeed the prince of the Kingdom!"

"With such intelligence he could easily become a professor in the Academy in just a year at most!"

Though the little heaven had an end that was brought by no one but the king.

"The Academy? I thought I had shown you that my knowledge overcome my teachers', " Cassian frowned.

'How annoying,' he thought. Why was he forced to think of something else when his sister had her first encounter with the saintess just a day ago? The festival was coming in less than a week too.

"The prince is not only a perfect figure of a ruler. You have to make relations with the nobles' children. The Academy is the key to that when talking about you especially."

When talking about... Who? What was so wrong about Cassian?

"You.."

"And before asking, I'll answer you. My dear Cass, you don't make any friends. To be my successor and the next heir you simply cannot be surrounded by no one."

Ha. He didn't even consider that. But...

"I have such people by my side."

"Two, to be more specific. The boy of house Talis. I appreciate your efforts but don't think I have no idea why you chose to be friends with him. And the youngest daughter of marques Hera? Be friends with them if you want, but to be honest you know that only Sirius is reliable. You need connections. Make the best decision."

In other words, to be a ruler would be hard if only low nobles were supporting him.

In Hares there were pretty much different kinds of magic. You could see a boy with the ability of being able to climb trees and buildings easily or a girl that could grow any plant. And there were some whose magic was so mere that they couldn't use it as a way of subsistence.

And then there was the royal family. The king's children were all blessed with great mana and powerful abilities. The magic of nature - water, fire, earth and air. Every one of them was able to wield at least two or three elements. That was a significant part of the competition when choosing the heir. Those who were able to develop their abilities to the extent they became Masters in at least three of them were mostly chosen as the Crown Prince or Princess. In the history of Hares there were few royals who inherited only one element or nothing at all. They were regarded as Powerless in the royal family and thus were treated as dust under their feet. The Masters of three or four elements were even less.

That's why Hazel becoming a Master of three was so popular. She was a daughter of a former princess of Hares and her royal blood was even less than that of a formal one. But her abilities in policy and her intelligence drew Rhys' mind to her and made Hazel one of the members or his inner circle long before she mastered her elements. She was like his right hand.

But what was curious was why her children were so powerful. They basically possessed more than twice her mana or even more than that. Cassian and Tasia were able to become Masters quite easily if they wanted. The test for each of the elements were being organised by the Magic Tower. They had the abilities too. The years spent in Syris they trained physically, so that they could be able to develop better their elements.

At this point of their - physically and mentally - fourteen years of life they were able to do almost anything with their mana. 'Almost' because there were yet many things uncovered in the Magic Kingdom. And they were Creators by any means if they were known to the Magic Tower of Hares. Many techniques were created exactly by them.