24. Justified Murder Desired By A God

The position of the head of the Three Greatest Saints' Temple was a big deal, really. The figure that was the head of the temple that held the most power in Hares into the political world of the royal family was simply equal to the title of a duke, even higher. Such a thing that the king couldn't simply ignore. There was, though, the bad rumors about the head of the Temple. They were music for the king's ears as the ruler simply didn't want to acknowledge her as the Fourth long awaited saintess.

Years had passed and yet Liliana hadn't been able to handle properly with the badmouthing about her identity. Well, they were right after all. She wasn't the Fourth. It didn't mean she wasn't a saintess, though. The problem was that Haresians were taught that only healers were saints. The lacking of healing abilities was by far the greatest obstacle between Liliana and the long wanted acknowledging.

They just couldn't understand. But they were just a mere nation. A stupid one at that.

"How are you, saintess?" A quiet, but hard voice asked as Liliana put her scarf over the chair in her room and sat on the bed.

Dillon. He was the only person she trusted enough to let him be in her own bedroom. The head of the paladin knights were the only one that she allowed to protect her too. The other paladins were either in located on different parts of the Three Saints' temple, or in other temples in other parts of Hares. Liliana didn't need them that much as she had secured to have the saints be trained. They were not only healers.

Not anymore.

But that was only known by the people living in the Temple. That was why Liliana was so picky when it came to accepting new trainee. She wanted people she could trust to stand on her side.

"Of course, I am. Why won't I be?" She narrowed her eyes as she glanced at the man.

He was ten years older than her, a forty-five year old man with silver shoulder length hair, tied in a low ponytail. Liliana had met him twenty years ago, when she was only fifteen and had just found out she had too much power for her own good.

Dillon frowned slightly, but said, "As you say, my saintess."

He was cold towards others but very skillful. That was the very reason he had raised ranks from a mere knight to a captain of the paladins in just few years. By the time she had met him first, he was already a head of the paladins and had some years behind as experience.

'But he's emotionless too,' Liliana thought as she suppressed a sigh.

Well, nobody's perfect, right?

"So, it has a worldwide significance, I get it," Tasia said dryly. "But don't you think we should at least know the content of the prophecy itself?"

Cassian nodded slightly without realizing it from where he had leaned against the wall.

Does he take us for fools?

It can be. He's too complicated to read.

I guess it can never be too easy, right?

Tasia couldn't agree more as she observed with her own eyes as the man only let a thoughtful expression appear on his face.

'Yea, he can control his emotions well. Too well.'

Then suddenly, the man clapped his hands and said cheerfully, "Well, let's begin the story, shall we?"

Tasia had a hard time suppressing her frown. Hadn't they been asking for that for a long time?

"Once upon a time..."

"Don't get us for stupid kids, Seth!" Cassian snapped out of impatience and anger.