28. Burn The Candle At Both Ends

The voice of Leya... not much was recorded about this subject. As a month passed since Matthew had begun his training, the books that passed through his hands weren't of much help about the topic. The professor, who taught them history of the light magic and whose name Matthew didn't bother to memorize, gave them an assignment about the voice of Leya.

It seemed it referred to the few cases when people claimed the goddess spoke in their minds. But many of them couldn't prove that and thus were put as 'uncertain'. So, the only ones that had actually heard the Voice were the Great Saints obviously.

But then again the books didn't say much about it too. Even when it came to the Saints...

Matthew leaned on the wall of books in the library and sighed. He had been coming here so many times that they had given him a card for free access in all the parts except for the banned literature.

And even Matthew, who enjoyed breaking the rules, hadn't out a hand on a book of that section yet. Such a shame it was...

Suddenly a hurried pace was heard and a lot of people speaking at the same time. And it was supposed to be a library of the so great Temple of the Magic Kingdom.

"Hurry up, please! We don't have enough time to wait you slouching around!"

The only sentence the boy was able to comprehend told him enough. He wasn't meant to be there at all. Matthew quickly focused his mana at his palm and clenched his fist as light began to circulate around him.

'Faster, faster, faster!'

As if his pleading was heard by the goddess, he felt lighter and lighter and then the group of four men and a single woman passed through the walls of books. The stood a few meters from the place he was but they had just thoughtful expressions.

They weren't able to see him!

'It succeeded!'

Finally! His efforts weren't fruitless after all. Though he was just in the beginning of his training and was taught mostly about using healing magic, his mind went beyond the limits trainees were put in. And it was an open secret that they weren't meant to be only healers.

As the boy was about to have an internal leap out of excitement, the group began discussing again, spoiling his mood, "There's no one else. Speak. What are we going to do during the festival?"

'The festival?'

There were about two weeks before the greatest festival in Hares was held. They were concerned about the arrangements?

"Are all things..."

"I told you already! The paladins are just waiting for my commands."

"The healers are stationed too."

"Do, the arrangements are done?"

"Not quite. We are lacking... There is need of a bait."

"A bait?"

"Someone that would lure her to her doom."

"And who could that be? As I thought we have no one to excuse from their duties as the festival is just around the corner."

Matthew sank deeper into his minds as he sat on the cold floor and leaned on the wall of books. Quietly. Listening. Eavesdropping. Though, they were to be blamed that had come to him first. They were guilty, he was just waiting for them to leave.

The voices mixed up and when he though he couldn't be able to discern whose they were, a hard one radiating mighty spoke, "We'll use one of the trainees. They will come of some use too."