050: Coffee

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

you skip down the stairs, your body feeling as light as a feather, before smoothly slipping into the kitchen where Niki is. she hasn't heard you yet, which is perfect for your plan.

you tip-toe over to her, she's facing the counter as she's preparing you two some sandwiches with a variety of different things, like ham and pork and cheese. you make sure not to breathe too hard before you suddenly, and quickly, grab her in the sides and scream. she jumps with the cutest scream of terror you've ever heard and turns around in a jiffy.

interesting fact, you learned about a year ago that a jiffy is one one hundredth of a second. or was it one hundredth...? who cares, it's a short amount of time.

"Y/n! you scared me!" Niki looks shocked, her mouth hanging open and her eyes wide, but she also seems to be struggling to contain a smile, meaning you're already (or at least in a good way) forgiven.

you smile, putting all your charm into the smile as you speak. "yeah, I really did. sorry, I couldn't help myself" you give her an apologetic look and puppy eyes. 'playing the underdog card, huh?' Technos voice mocks you. 'shut up' you hiss at him, not moving a muscle.

Niki's face softens, her mouth closing. "aw, it's okay." then she seems to remember something. "oh, look! I made us sandwiches" she says excitedly and moves a step to the right to show off her masterpiece.

you lose the puppy eyes and let your face light up with genuine happiness. "aw, Niki, thank you" you break your stare at the food to look at her with a thankful smile.

"it's no problem. we're friends, remember?" she gives you a toothy smile and you grin back, although a little more melancholy than her. you don't deserve friends like these. 'but you do though' Techno's voice butts in. as his voice in your head says that you relax your tensed body and your smile turns even happier, any trace of melancholia disappearing.

then you're broken out of your trance and clap your hands once. "so, let's eat" you grin and pick up the plate with sandwiches. you assume they're done judging how they look.

Niki only smiles and nods in response, following you wordlessly as you make your way to the dining room, humming on a tune you can't place as you walk.

"ah, I love that song" Niki sighs from behind you just as you put down the large plate.

"I beg your pardon?" you turn to her, blinking slowly. to be honest, you're quite surprised that she knows the song since you can't even remember which one it is yourself. the lack of knowledge actually scratches your brain in a bad way.

"yeah, it's a lovely song" she doesn't seem to understand the reason for your shock.

"no, I mean, you know it? which one is it?" you're eager. too eager. you can see it on her face as she stutters out her answer. she looks like she's being judged.

"um, it's 'Pastorale' by Beethoven, isn't it?" she seems unsure of her herself, hesitating as she speaks. you feel bad for being so pushy.

but as she says it something in your brain clicks. peace is restored. of course, it's Beethoven, how could you ever forget? it's a classic. you want to slap yourself.

"oh, sorry, I just didn't know the name myself. you know, when you hum on a tune that is so painfully familiar, but you can't place it?" you explain with a poor attempt of a smile.

something lights up inside behind her kind eyes, all traces of worry disappearing. "oh, yeah I know that" she smiles.

you grin back. "awesome. how about we eat now and talk later?" you propose, gesturing towards the food laid on the table behind you.