051: The accident

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

you're walking hand-in-hand with Techno at the pier, enjoying this moment of relaxing. the loud noises escaping the seagulls are admittedly very annoying, but who has the heart to complain?

okay, that's a dumb question, Tommy does. and Fundy. and some other people too actually. and they do. so that's why you and Techno are on your own now, trailing far behind the big mass of people that are your friends. it's weird how that works. making friends over a screen.

you're chatting along with Techno when a scream interrupts your piece. you recognize it as Tommy's and stand on your tiptoes to gaze ahead, seeing that the crowd is standing still by the road, everyone looking down at something on the ground.

you already have a feeling of what has happened, but you don't dare believe it, so you take a glance at Techno before releasing his hand and you both break into a sprint. 'please no' you chant over and over again in your head. images of bloody body parts, twisted in weird angles, dead and broken, flashes before your eyes as you run.

the extra fear and adrenaline make you run faster than you ever have before, getting you to the street in no time, where you push through the crowd to see what they're all looking at.

and there's Tommy. sitting on the ground, holding someone in his arms as he just keeps talking. he's almost screaming as he speaks, frantic on the ground. Wilbur is just a step or two away, on the phone, staring down at whoever Tommy is holding. he has his back towards you, so you can't see either, but you know who it is.

you slowly walk over to him, trying to stay strong and not cry or panic. you crouch beside the boy and can't help but glance down at Tubbos face, which is covered in small cuts from the ground.

you avert your gaze to look back up at Tommy, putting your right arm around his shoulders. he's shaking under your touch and he's still talking to the boy in his arms.

"Tommy?" he doesn't acknowledge your presence. "Tommy!" you try again, louder now.

his head whips around to look at you, and you see his cheeks are tear-streaked. you bring your left hand up to his cheek to wipe it off.

"Tommy, we gotta wake him up," you tell him sternly, letting the smile fade from your face. "you got that?" you stare at him.

his eyes won't stop moving for even a second, but he looks like he's bracing himself and he nods. you nod approvingly and carefully move Tubbo over to your own lap, gently taking him out of Tommy's arms.

you start by gently calling the boy's name and patting his cheek, but he stays unconscious (which you should've expected considering the fact that Tommy's screams didn't wake him). you take a deep breath and look over at Phil, who's staring down at the scene before him. he nods at you, and his otherwise so warm eyes are flooded over with worry.

you turn back to Tubbo in your lap and try again. you shake his shoulders, not very gently, even though you should. you can just imagine what bones he broke, but most likely is his legs, ribs or collarbones.

at least it works, he wakes up whimpering from pain. his face scrunches together from pain and he tries to bring his hand up to his face but fails.

you shakily exhale and smile. "hey, Toby, where does it hurt?" you ask him.

he looks a bit confused at first, but you register the recognition in his eyes as the memories come flooding back. "I..." he looks lost, with wide eyes and an open mouth. "I got hit by a car" he looks up at you for confirmation and you nod.