055: The dark days

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

Tommy's been gloomy ever since you got home and you can't help but be sad for him. you've spent maybe an hour watching over him when a hand touches your shoulder. you straighten your back and look behind you to see who it is. Wilbur.

you tilt your head at him and he nods. you understand and nod back, standing up. you feel like your shift just ended, but that's not the case at all. you just care about Tommy, and so does Wilbur, but everyone needs breaks sometimes. even from watching over their friends. but looking at Tommy, you only see a ghost of the boy you became friends with so long ago.

you take a deep breath and walk away. you can't watch him any longer, or you might just go insane. 'where the fuck is this idiot' you immediately know who the voice means. and so you go searching for Dream. you hadn't heard his conversation with Tubbo and his mother since you had been too busy talking to Tommy. but now you are curious. you're still angry with him though. but still. curiosity killed the cat, right? good things cats have nine lives.

you burst his door open, and he's alone. as expected. his head shoots up and he makes immediate eye contact with you. 'don't back out now' Technos voice sounds almost angry and you brace yourself.

"hi Dream," you say without moving a muscle.

"hey," he sounds tired, burned out. 'no sympathy' one of the more ruthless voices tells you. you straighten your back and walk up to him, ignoring the voice. you sit down beside him and don't bother making sure you have a proper distance between you and him.

"why so gloomy green man?" you joke and give him a lopsided smile. he doesn't smile back. he just looks numbly at you before returning his gaze to the floor.

"okay, cheer up, please. I can't deal with you like this" you frown. his head shoots back up and he looks angry. frustrated. finally, some emotion.

"you can't deal with me like this? you can't deal with me?!" he's almost screaming. he laughs, a crazy laugh, and leans his head back with his palm against his forehead. then he calms down and looks back at you. "from what I remember, I'm not your problem. you don't have to deal with me. so just leave" he snorts.

"no," you say calmly, but unwavering. you won't leave this room until he gets his shit together. you owe him that. well, you don't, but you feel like you do.

he stares at you, managing to look terrified and angry at the same time. "why not?" he asks.

"because, despite if you believe it or not, I have to deal with you. because you're my friend," you tell him sternly and his freckles catch your attention. you watch them as he speaks, not being able to look into his green eyes.

he laughs a bitter laugh. "your friend. okay, sure then, what will you do to cheer me up? huh?" he throws his arms out. "I mean! there's nothing you can do. you can't change how I feel," he lowers his voice at the last part, pointing at his own chest.

you realize that only speaking to him won't do it. "yes I can. watch me." he scoffs. "if this is still about Tubbo, which I know it is, then it isn't your fault. did you see Tommy? how he's feeling? that's because he thinks it's his fault too," you say and throw your arm out in the direction of the living room.

Dreams lips part and he stares to where your hand is pointing. "but it's not his fault. it's mine" he argues and looks at you.

"he would say the same thing. blaming yourself is easy, but when someone else is blaming themselves for something they haven't done or couldn't help, it's awful to watch," you tell him, inching closer to him.