053: The phone call

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

you walk downstairs and your mind is set on checking in with Tubbo at the hospital today. if you're allowed to, that'd be. you sigh at the thought of possibly not being able to see the seventeen-year-old until the next time one of you visit the others country.

while downstairs, you run into Niki. literally. you're staring at the ground, so lost in thoughts you don't even hear her coming. you crash against each other and both of you let out a soft 'ow'.

"sorry," you say as you take a step back.

she takes one back too and smiles. "no, I'm sorry, it was my fault" she shakes her head.

"no, it was mine for not paying attention. sorry" you sigh unhappily.

"it's alright" she admits that it wasn't her fault and some of the weight on your shoulders disappears. "hungry? or are you hungry for more cuddles with Techno?" she smiles knowingly.

you feel the heat rise in your cheeks. "i.. no, i... uh" you stutter and she lets out a burst of warm laughter.

"I'm just messing with you. there's cereal and sandwiches if you want some. I'm not a great cook" she grimaces and you smile widely at her.

"cereal sounds great, thanks Niki" you touch her arm and she smiles.

"no problem Y/n"

you nod and walk into the kitchen. you prepare the cereal and go sit down at the table, noticing that Dream's already there. he swallows when he sees you.

"hello," he says and gives you a half-hearted smile. "how did you sleep?"

"I had a good sleep, despite your stench" you grin back at him and his poor attempt at a smile becomes a crooked grin.

"that's rich coming from you. we're you aware that you act like a koala in your sleep?" he riddles as he raises his right eyebrow.

"what?" you stare at him in disbelief. you are, and you know that, but he actually said it. game on, bitch.

"yeah, it's very adorable," he says it as an insult and compliment at the same time.

"is not. are you aware that you sleep with your socks on?" you shoot back. "if that's not the biggest red flag I've ever seen then i don't know what is" you shake your head disapprovingly. it's funny how after you made up as friends you've been so much cooler with each other.

"I'll let you know that my feet get very cold during the night" he points out.

you snort and cross your arms over your chest. "that's the worst excuse I've ever heard."

"but it's true!" he exclaims and throws his arm out in desperation. "they get cold as fuck if I don't put socks on."

shaking your head, you pick up eating. he crosses his arms with a huff. "it's not that weird, I swear."

"you're right, it isn't" you look up at him. "it's even weirder" you grin at him and use the spoon to stuff cereal on your mouth before he has time to reply.

he squints his eyes at you but you ignore him and continue chewing the cereal. he scrunches his nose, which you only now realize is covered in pale freckles. 'how didn't I notice that before..? hm' you wonder for yourself as you swallow and knit your brows together. then an idea suddenly pops up in your head.

"hey, Tech and I are going to see Tubbo today, if they let us that'll be, would you like to come with us?" you ask Dream and he looks at you in horror. then his face softens and his eyes go dim like he's not there anymore. you know what he's seeing right now, his eyes are blurry but his mind is replaying the moment when Tubbo got hit by the car. he still feels guilty. which is incredibly stupid of him, considering he's usually so smart.