Chapter 26

Daryl and I left her house walking back to ours. "They're so stupid." I whispered angrily. He nodded, "I know." Dad waved when he saw us coming closer, "I just spoke with Diane."

I looked at my feet, "sorry." He just smiled, "don't be, you said what we are all thinking. She's coming by tonight, wants to offer us jobs. To do our part here." I scoffed, "I'm not going to school Dad." He shrugged, "it might be good for you, that way you can meet new people."

I started to protest but he raised his hand, "enough Leah. Go find something to do." I whipped around walking towards the far fence. I saw Enid heading the same way, I stayed back a bit to give her some space. As soon as I saw her begin to climb the fence I got intrigued doing the same once she was over.

It felt good to free, I followed her tracks smiling when I saw her leaning against a tree. "You should be more aware of your surroundings." I watched her spin around staring at me. "What are you doing out here? don't you need your dads supervision or something." I rolled my eyes, "are you always like this? I'm more than capable of being here alone, I'm not sure about you." She scoffed, "Me? do you know what I've been through?" I shook my head, "no, but you don't know what our groups been through either." She used her knife to point through the woods, "my parents and I were in a car, we were just talking hanging out, then all these walkers just came out of no where. They told me to run, and I did. I just left them." I nodded, "parents will do anything for their children." She sat down on the log, "what happened to your mom?" I shrugged, "you know that baby we brought, that's my little sister. My mom had a girl from our camp cut her open to save the baby. I had to shoot her after, Carl and I didn't want our mom to turn."

Enid gave me a small smile, "this world sucks." I nodded, "we should go back before anyone notices." She agreed standing up, "you know Ron likes you?" I narrowed my eyes, "he does?" She laughed, "thinks your the most beautiful girl in the world." I sighed thinking about Liam, we were young but I imagined that we could have considered ourselves a couple then. A young but strong couple.

After we had hopped the fence we walked together until I had reached my house. "Where have you been?" Dad asked. I could tell he wasn't impressed. "I went on a walk.. just overwhelmed." He raised his eyebrow as Enid backed me up. "Go upstairs i'll let you know when dinners ready." I sighed saying goodbye to Enid then trailing up the wooden stairs. I opened up the door seeing a room that had two beds in it. Carl was already on the one. "Hey," he whispered. "Welcome to our room." I sat down on the bed beside his. "Where'd everyone else go?" He shrugged, "they got their own houses."

I studied Carl he seemed almost annoyed with me. "Are you mad?" He shook his head, "I watched you climb the fence with that girl, Enid. Why wouldn't you tell me you were going out?" I gave him a small smile, "I didn't know I was going until she did." Carl sighed, "I'm going to take Judith for a walk, you care to join?" I shook my head, "I'm alright."

As the two of them left our house I decided to look at everyone else's houses. I saw Daryl standing on his porch. "Kid." He called. I made my way over sitting down beside him. "How's your friends?" I shrugged, "their alright." He sighed, "What're your thoughts on this place?" I bit my lip, "I don't know, I guess it's alright as long as Judith is safe." He nodded, "She'll be fine if she's got you as a big sister."

"I went out of the walls today. Dad doesn't know but he was still mad because I was gone so long, and Carl watched and now he's mad too." Daryl shrugged, "well I'm not mad." I smiled, "Neither am I."

"You hear that?" Daryl asked. I shook my head only hearing voices. "Someone's fighting." He stood up and I followed towards the gate where I watched Glenn punch Diane's son. Daryl ran towards the other man throwing him on the ground, at the same time Dad and Carl walked through the gate.

Instead of watching the fight get broken up I turned away heading back home. "Leah," I heard Carl call after me. "You were upset with me because I went out without you, then you go do the same thing?" He sighed, "you're right, I saw dad.. I helped him, all these walkers came from behind." I shook my head, "is this supposed to be making me feel better? I'm glad you and dad had a wonderful outing."