Chapter 77

"Dad." I called from the balcony. He walked outside looking down at me and the letter. I pushed myself up letting myself fall against him. He tightened his arms around me, and I closed my eyes feeling safe just like Carl said. "I read my letter too Leah." I nodded, "Carl told me to hug you for him. He told me any chance I got I needed to hug you and tell you much I love you." Dad sighed, "he wanted me to feel as safe as you two do when I hug you. He said he wished he could give me that feeling." I let out a sad pathetic laugh, "he's not wrong, I don't want to let go."

Dad placed his hand on the back of my head, "I don't want to let go either." I slowed my breathing still holding on, "I miss him so much." Dad looked down at me, "I know sweetheart, you're still my little girl, doesn't matter how old you are, or what you've been through. You're always the little girl who used to run around and call me daddy until your mean big brother Carl told you that you were too old to call your dad, daddy." I laughed, "he did tell me that. But I didn't listen. I love you more than anything in this world daddy." I heard him let out a small laugh too, "same goes for you Leah girl." I finally let go picking my letter up, "we're going to end this all tomorrow, and then we're going to build it all back up just like Carl imagined it." Dad nodded, "just like Carl imagined it."

I woke up the next morning and saw Dad and Michonne were already up. "Ready Leah?" Dad asked. I slowly stood up looking around for my sweater, "I'm ready." I followed them outside helping everyone load up on bullets and weapons.
I put a belt around my jeans piling as many bullets in it as I could, and met everyone else at the gate as soon as I was ready.

"Hey dad," I whispered as everyone started to walk. He turned to look at me and I quickly gave him a hug, "I love you enough for both me and Carl." I watched as a small smile spread across his face, "is this our new tradition?" I nodded, "everyday you're getting a hug from Carl and I. That's how I'm going to remember him." Dad squeezed my hand pulling us along behind the group.

Once we arrived at the meeting spot, I ducked down behind bushes spying in on the saviours already there. Dad pulled his hand down and I stood up shooting the men standing there. "Let's move," Dad whispered.

We began to cut across an open field I walked beside Maggie keeping my gun ready. "Tonight's when it happens. It's when you and I kill Negan." I turned to look at her, "he's yours Maggie. I've made peace with everyone who's killed the people I love. You're doing this for you, I'd just be doing it to kill him." She gave me a small smile, "that Carl talking?" I nodded, "a little piece of him is now in a little piece of me."

I turned to my left and stared down a cliff where a herd five times the size of any herd I've ever seen was roaming around. "I've never seen one that big." Ezekiel announced. Dad shook his head, "neither have I, but times are changing, let's keep walking."

I followed behind as we continued walking until I heard whistling in the distance. I immediately held up my gun, and stepped back as Negans voice came over the walkie. "Well damn Rick, pegged again, pegged so very hard. I ambushed your ambush with an even bigger ambush." Dad yelled, "how about you step out and face us." The walker clicked, "I am everywhere Rick. Pick a direction to run, all of you. Make it fun for all of us. I brought you some of your old friends, remember Eugene. Well he is the person who made today possible, so is Dwight here. And now they get to stand up here and watch you all die. And Gabriel, well he's got to go to. We're cleaning house today. So, here we go. Congratulations Rick, you've lost both your son, your daughter and all your people in the matter of only a few days. So, here we go Rick. Three... two... ONE."