Chapter 18

I lay inside feeling sick again. It was obvious I needed to rest I had pushed myself too hard too soon. I had only just shut my eyes when a loud explosion sounded. Immediately I jolted awake and sprinted outside. Along the outside gates was the governor and some men, they had Hershel and Michonne as captives. The governor forced my dad to walk up to the gate where they were. "Dad, you cant." I hissed. He turned around holding up his hand, "I don't have much of a choice." I sighed glaring out at the men. I felt Daryl push a gun to my back quickly I grabbed it, and lined the fence beside him and Carl. I watched through the scope of my gun, and just as he was pulling the sword away he swung it down cutting Hershel's neck, killing him immediately. I heard my dad scream, and I began firing immediately trying to ignore the heartbreaking cries from Maggie and Beth.

They began closing in on us with the tank, "Daryl shoved me forward. "Move." I took down several of their men before running to a different spot. "Where's dad?" I screamed at Carl. He shook his head, obviously not sure where he was. Me and Daryl were blocked in by his men and walkers. I kept firing scared to stop, I didn't see us getting out of here. Daryl picked up a walker and used it as a shield throwing a grenade. I took this as my chance to run, while Daryl threw another grenade inside the tank. Beth ran up to us, "I was trying to find the kids, get them on the bus." Daryl sighed, "we gotta go Beth, we gotta go." I stayed put as they started to run, "I have to find dad, and Carl Judith, Liam." Daryl shook his head, "we ain't got time Leah. Come on kid." I sighed following the two of them. Checking one last time for any sign of my family.

The three of us kept running until we were in a field of tall grass. When we got there we all collapsed down. I lay on my back gazing up at the sky. When we caught our breath, I stood up following them into the forest. As night approached I collected firewood and Daryl built the fire. The three of us sat in silence before Beth spoke up, "we can't be the only survivors we have to go look. Rick, Michonne, Maggie they could still be out there. The sun will be up soon, Daryl you're a tracker." When she realized Daryl wasn't answering she threw her arms up, "fine if you won't track I will." I sighed pushing myself up, and Daryl followed kicking out the fire.

We continued to walk through the forest until Daryl found a pair of footsteps, Beth leaned over to inspect immediately getting hope. I stayed in the back it the group, I hadn't said a single word since we left, Beth was up there talking about faith with Daryl and that made me hate myself more, because I had no faith in finding dad, Carl or Judith or Liam. They were just gone. We kept walking until we came across a railroad track. There Daryl killed the last of the walkers, they were people from the prison, when he was done Beth started crying. I tapped her arm lightly pulling her along. "It's okay Beth, we'll find Maggie." She gave me a small smile squeezing my hand.

We didn't stop walking until nightfall the next day. By the time we were ready to set up camp it was obvious we were getting tired, we saw a herd cross in front of us. "This way," Daryl whispered pulling us the other way. We found an old car, quickly I popped the trunk, Daryl and Beth had already crawled in, I fit through crawling to the back of the space. The clamp from the door closing made the walkers shift our direction. I bit my lip sliding down, Daryl rested his arm around my shoulder using it to hold up his crossbow. Beth and I held our knives ready. Moments later a storm started, it continued all night, with hundreds of walkers stumbling past the car. When light began shining through the crack Beth pushed it up allowing me to climb out. Without saying anything Daryl stumbled forward expecting us to follow. I sighed lifting my bag and flinging it over my shoulders.

We entered the forest, I didn't care what they wanted to do but I had to sit down I was feeling extremely dizzy. There was an opening ahead which I made my way to. Just as I got to it, I lunged against the tree throwing up onto the ground. Daryl stood in front of me, "you eat anything?" I shook my head, "just go away." He rolled his eyes, "sit down, imma go hunt." Slowly I made my way onto a log, staring down at the ground. "You okay?" Beth asked kneeling down beside me. I nodded grabbing the car mirror and digging a hole for the fire. "Let me," she insisted trying to grab the mirror. "I'm fine Beth." She gave me a small nod setting up our camp.