Chapter 134

Maggie had left to get Alden, and we began the trip home pulling over as the sun disappeared and creating a fire. I sat down pinching myself trying to get myself to feel something. We sat in silence for the most part, I think it was because we had literally nothing left to talk about. I lifted my head as Gabriel turned to me, "I heard what you said about us doing it all wrong." I scoffed, "I was just thinking about what Carl and Dad died for, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore."

I lifted my eyes as a walker started making its way towards us. Daryl was about to kill it but I watched as an arrow went through it's head and Maggie rounded the corner. "Where's Alden?" I spat. She looked away from me slowly shaking her head. "Dead, of course," I whispered. Daryl put his hand on my leg, and I pulled away, "don't."

All night I stayed sitting against a tree twisting my knife around in my hands, waiting until light reflected off my blade. "We're leaving. Now." I said standing up. I walked beside the trailer doing my best to stay as far away from Maggie as possible. Daryl hopped down without saying anything walking beside me. I felt a small pain in my chest when I thought about seeing Judith and RJ again.

The gates opened and I sped up, smiling when I saw the two children running towards me. "Hey guys," I whispered holding them as close to me as I could. I wiped a tear off of Judiths face cupping her cheeks in my hands, "are you alright?" She nodded, "the storm was bad, but we're alright." I ran my hands through their hair, "are you okay?" She asked. I forced a smile onto my face, "better now that I'm back with you, go get an apple."

I grabbed one myself immediately dropping it when I saw Connie round the corner with Kelly. My eyes widened and I threw my arms around her neck in disbelief. "She's alive," Kelly laughed. I stepped back letting out a small sigh, I gave her a thumbs up mouthing the words, "are you alright?" She nodded putting her arms around me again.

I felt Carols hand on my back and she held her arms open for me. "I'm happy you're back." I smiled, "glad to be back." Rosita was next and then Aaron and Lydia. Seeing them again was bittersweet. I was happy to be home but it felt like a knife was being twisted in my stomach at the thought of what got us back here. All the killing and betrayal, it didn't feel right. None of it did.

"I'll be back in a few minutes," I whispered to Judith. She nodded, and I headed to the back where there were two crosses for Dad and Carl. I sat in front of them biting my lip, "what happened yesterday, it shouldn't have happened. You guys wouldn't have let it happen." I shook my head as tears fell again. "I told her time and time again nothing can happen to him. I know he did bad things, but so have we. And now Negans gone. All because she came home. I don't want her here anymore, but I don't know what to do. I'm sorry." I felt a hand on my shoulder and spun around. "Didn't know where you went," Daryl whispered. "I'm sorry about Leah." He nodded, "and I'm sorry about Carver." I put my head in my hands closing my eyes, "I hate her so much right now Daryl." He sighed, "I know. And I don't blame you." I shook my head, "did you want him dead too?" He shrugged, "no. I hated the guy, but you didn't want his dead, so I didn't." I rubbed my forehead, "and now Alden's dead too." Daryl put his arm around me pulling me into his shoulder, "what you said yesterday, about Carl and your dad dying for nothing. That's not true Leah." I sighed, "I watched him die, after we said those people could go. She made it so that they died for nothing. Carl and Dad fought for everything we built and she came here and she just destroyed everything."

"INCOMING." I whipped around as Jerry pointed over the wall. I felt for my gun and then climbed up beside him squinting through the scope. "GET READY. ON MY COUNT." I hollered turning back to everyone. I was staring in awe at these men dressed in all white armour marching up to the wall. I was ready to give the count but then I saw Eugene sprinting up. "HOLD THE FIRE." I shouted ordering them to open the gate. "They're with me. You're safe," Eugene informed us.