Chapter 41

I opened up the door leading to the patio and stood on the patio observing this place they called Hilltop. "They got everything we need, and we got the people, the ammo to take out the saviours." I heard Dad say from behind me. I turned around seeing everyone with him. Jesus walked out, "Gregory's up, he wants to talk to Maggie."

"You good?" Glenn asked standing beside me. "I'm
fine." He sighed, "You don't have to worry about those saviours. No one would let anyone beat you to death, believe me." I nodded, "I'm not worried." Glenn smiled, "the look on your face says different."
I bit my lip, "why would they kill someone so young? What happens if we can't take these saviours?" He shrugged, "I know you'd be the last one to die because your just like that. Survival is in your blood." I laughed, looking down at my feet. "Maggie's back and she's smiling, it looks like we have a deal," Glenn pointed walking out to meet her.

"Leah, come help load up," Dad called. I walked over to the RV pushing the buckets of food they handed us underneath the seats. "This is for the greater good." Dad said standing beside me. "I know that." He nodded, "of course you do. Grab a seat we're leaving."

I sat beside Maggie and Glenn, staring out the window across from me as we began driving. "Leah, I want to show you something," Maggie whispered. I looked at the picture she passed me, "is this the baby?" She nodded putting an arm around me. I smiled handing the photo to Michonne. Tiredly I leaned my head against Maggie's arm as she squeezed me closer to her. "Judith, and this baby are going to grow up with the best big brother and sister they could ask for. You and Carl." I smiled, "I would suggest the name Leah for a girl." Glenn laughed, "I can only handle one Leah at a time."

As the gates rolled into sight I sat up grabbing my bag. When I got down the last steps Dad grabbed my arm, "I'm having a meeting at the church about the fight. I know you're in, and you're coming but you don't need to hear all this. Go shower, you've had a long enough day alright?" I nodded slowly walking back to our house. "Carl." I called seeing him sitting on the steps with Judith. He gently set her down running towards me. I wrapped my arms around him. "What happened today?" I sighed sitting down on the steps pulling Judith onto my lap. "This Negan man, has a group called the saviours. Dads fighting them before they take over this community, like they have at Hilltop. Hilltop gives them half of everything they have in exchange for not being murdered." Carl nodded, "fighting sounds like the best option, doesn't it?" I sighed, "these saviours beat a kid to death, someone close to our age. Just to prove their message." Carl looked at me, "you serious?" I nodded, "very." He stood up, "let's put her to bed, get your mind off of that."

I followed him inside setting her in the crib. "If I go, are you staying here?" I asked Carl. He nodded, "someone would have to be here, helping protect this place." I lay Judith down turning her light off. "I know you shouldn't be afraid Leah, they should be afraid of you." I laughed sitting down on my bed, "goodnight Carl."

"Leah, you up?" I heard Dad whisper. I slowly sat up pushing my blanket off of me. "Get ready we're leaving soon." I grabbed my sweater and a pair of jeans quickly getting dressed. "Bye Carl." I whispered shutting our door quietly.

I got into the RV sitting on the bench. Once we had gone a certain distance Dad had pulled over and I stepped outside breathing in the fresh air. "We're just going to scope the place, if we don't like how it looks we won't go in. The guards will be tired, and everyone else will be sleeping. This is a race to the armoury people." Everyone nodded and began preparing. I sat down against the RV looking out into the forest while sharpening my knife. "Hey kid." Glenn sat down beside me. "I need you to do a favour for me." I looked at him, "what is it?" He pointed at Maggie, "she's going to be out on the perimeter by herself. I want someone who I know wouldn't leave her behind if something happened, someone to protect her." I sighed, "you don't want me to go in there and fight?" He shook his head, "No, and neither does your dad. You heard what Jesus said, you are not going to be the one they make an example out of. I know you were scared, I hope this helps." I shook my head, "I wasn't scared." Glenn scoffed, "I know you are scared, because I'm scared, your dads scared everyone is. Hiding it doesn't make you a stronger person. We already know how strong you are, that's why your here." I bit my lip, "fine." Glenn stood up offering his hand to me, "thank you."