Chapter 131

I jumped back as a small missile came my way. I watched as it hit a walker and only seconds later the thing exploded spraying blood and guts all over me. I immediately grabbed the walker in front of me using it as a shield. Once I had cleared a path to the nearest building I slowly opened the door looking both ways. "You're not making it out, none of your people are." I spun around seeing a guard behind me holding a knife up. I ducked as he threw it towards me and then lunged forward driving my knife through his neck. "I'm making it out. You're not asshole."

"Leah." I looked up as Carver was staring down at his friend. "I had to Carver, he was going to kill me." Slowly I held my knife up, and he did the same staring directly into my eyes. "You really gonna try and kill me Leah?" I glared at him, "are you gonna try and kill me?" I watched as he put his knife down, "I'm not gonna kill you, but I can't say the same for my people. I'm sorry Leah." I took a step forward pushing my lips against his, "goodbye Carver." He pushed a piece of hair out of my face, "don't get caught." I gave him a small nod backing up, I started to walk away but stoped when he called my name again. "Come in here," he opened a small closet door for me. "I already checked this building no one is gonna come back until morning." I stepped into the room, "thank you." He nodded, "we survive this, I'm taking you to prom. If you'll be my date of course." I smiled, "get out of here."

I waited it out until morning and when I saw light creep through the small crack in the door I pushed myself back out into the hallway. I heard a body fall on the floor on top of me and immediately made a run for the stairs. As I reached the hallway above I slowly peaked my head out seeing Maggie standing over top of Carver, Negan was directly beside her. "NO." I screamed, pushing her against the wall away from him. I knelt down beside his body pushing the hair back from his face. "You can't kill him." I whispered. She glared down at the two of us holding up an axe. "I'm not moving. You're gonna have to kill me before him Maggie." She didn't drop the weapon until Daryl ran around the corner. "DONT." Daryl swung his hand down knocking Carver out, and I grabbed my knife holding it up. "YOU ARE NOT KILLING HIM. DONT ANY OF YOU REMEMBER WHAT CARL SAID. YOU DO NEGAN. THERES ANOTHER WAY THERE ALWAYS IS. I won't let you kill him, not without killing me first."

Maggie sunk against the wall, as Daryl took a step back. "We don't kill him." Maggie scoffed, "he needs to pay for what he did." Daryl shook his head, "Leah's right. Once we go down that road we're not gonna make it out alive. We got him, let's use him. Get what we want and go home." Maggie bit her lip, "are you doing this for her, for their leader. Or maybe for Leah. Listen to me Leah this boy isn't worth dying over." Daryl held his hand up, "no, I'm doing this for us. Leah wants us dead, but not more than saving her own family, especially this asshole." Negan sighed, "this could go wrong 800 different ways, and I want us to get out alive." Maggie scoffed, "they will get what's coming to them, maybe not today but they will." I cupped my hands around Carvers face, this is where I was supposed to choose my family over him, because they weren't wrong he was an asshole. But he wasn't to me, and I didn't want him to die, I didn't want to have to watch him die.

Daryl picked up the walkie staring down at Carver and I, he clicked it and I listened as he spoke, "Leah, we need to talk." Carvers eyes were beginning to open again and Negan bent down gently pushing me off of him. "You don't have to tie him up," I whispered. Daryl sighed, "he did the same to you Leah." I looked down again, as Negan gagged Carver. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Daryl pulled me off of him and Negan bent down bringing Carver up with him, I watched as he pushed a knife against the back of his neck. "Get the knife off," I spat glaring at Negan. I walked on the other side of Carver trying to steady my breaths.

When we got down the main level Daryl led the way and stopped behind a small garden. "You ready?" Daryl asked me. I gave him a small nod and watched as he handed Maggie a gun, "just in case." He held the walkie up again, "Leah." I heard it click as she responded, "We're here." A barn door slid open revealing only her. "I need to see Carver first."