Chapter 21

It was a week later when I finally woke up, I saw I was in a hospital bed and there was a boy in the corner. "You're awake?" The person asked confused. I nodded looking down at my arms that had tubes poking out. "Where am I?" I asked. "Hospital. Your friends here, she's been looking out for you." I narrowed my eyes, "Beths here?" The boy poked his head out the window catching Beths attention, "Leah, you're awake." I nodded slowly. "Where's Daryl?" I asked scared. Beth grabbed my hand, "I'm not sure what happened to him, but right now we need to focus on you. You can not let them know you're awake yet." I raised my eyebrows in question. "Listen Carols here too. But trust me when I say don't talk to anyone but me." I squeezed her hand, "okay." She sighed, "how are you feeling?" I shrugged, "could be better. Beth what happened?" Beth shook her head, "I can't remember either, one minute we were with Daryl the next we were here, I told you to have faith and you did. This ring is supposed to help you find faith." She pointed at her ring, and I stared at it in awe, the door slammed open and a police office walked in. She smiled sternly at me, "I see you've finally woken up, Beth here your little friend wouldn't let us unplug the life support."

I gave a small nod. "And what's your name young lady?" she asked me. "Leah," I whispered. She shook my hand, "well rest up, we will see how you're feeling tomorrow." She left the room leaving the three of us alone. "I don't like her," I said. Beth nodded in agreement. "They're coming," she leaned in whispering. "Daryls coming for us?" She nodded excitedly. "That's why I was scared to tell them you were alive. That women she's not good." I nodded. "Close your eyes Leah, we will come get you when it's time. I have to look after Carol." I rested my head back letting my eyes gently close once again.

"Get up." A man who was also in a police uniform violently ripped me up. "Wait," I said panicked. I didn't know how to take out IVs. He leaned forward and ripped it out, immediately blood drew to my arm. "Move it." He shoved me in front of him and we made our way down the hall, I saw Carol had already been taken over to them. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Dad standing there. He gave me a look of pure relief and I saw his eyes tear up. The women grabbed Beths arm taking her to my father. I watched as he gave her a hug then met up with the women in the middle. "Give me my daughter then we leave." She turned around smiling at me, "ya I think I'll give her to you when you give me my man back." The young boy who was in the hospital room when I woke up glared at her. "No he's staying with us, Leah let's go." I started to walk over but the male officer grabbed my arm tightly. "He gets to choose whether he goes home or not." The women shook her head no, "you get Leah I get him."

Noah slowly walked back over to this side. I could see the hurt in this boys eyes, and he was my age which was what me made me feel for him. "Wait," Beth said, she ran up giving him one last hug. I gave him a genuine smile squeezing his shoulder, we were both about to walk away when I saw Beth grab something out of her cast, she lunged forward stabbing the women. The officer quickly pulled out her gun shooting Beth in just a second. I screamed as I found myself getting sprayed with blood, and watched as Beth collapsed onto the ground. Beth, the girl who kept me sane the past couple months, the one who gave me and Daryl faith that we could find everyone. Her blood was all over me and I caught her body falling with her her to the ground, but there was no life left in her eyes. "YOU BITCH," I screamed grabbing the gun Dad kept tucked in his jeans. I just as quickly loaded it killing her, her eyes pleaded for me not too, but I was too hurt. Immediately the male officer loaded his gun pointing it at me, Daryl and Dad pointed theirs at him. "Get that thing away from my daughter asshole."

Everyone slowly put their guns down and I stared down at Beth in complete shock. I felt Daryl walk up beside me seeing him cry made me burst into tears. Holding them back all those months weighed down on me. Beth saved our lives and we couldn't do the same for her. Dad wrapped his arms around me tightly crying softly. We just had everyone together again and just like that she was gone. Daryl knelt down and scooped her up, and I leaned against my dad for support. "I'm so sorry kid." He whispered. I couldn't answer I was in such shock. When we got out, there was fire truck parked in front, Maggie and Glenn were there with people I didn't recognize. Maggie collapsed when she saw Beth making me turn away, dad knelt down in front of me. "I love you Leah. More than anything, you Carl and Judith." I shook my head, "where is Carl? And Judith?" Dad sighed, "Carl's okay, Judith she's okay."

"I hate this," I cried from pain and exhaustion he wrapped his arms around me hugging me close to him. "I'm sorry," he rested his head on top of mine rubbing my back. "I'm so so sorry."