Chapter 6

The next morning I woke up and went into the house, Beth was about four years older then me, but she was super nice. She showed me into the bathroom and got me shampoo for my hair. When I was done I walked into her room with just my towel. "Beth." I said. She turned around smiling at me, "what's up?" I laughed a little, "I'm out of clothes." She gestured for me to come sit on her bed, "I've got lots, more then I need anyway." I smiled, as she passed me a pair of leggings and a T-shirt. "These are too small for me now, I'm sure they'll fit you okay." I nodded, "thank you." Beth passed me a brush and I combed out my hair, it hung all the way down my back. "I should go see Carl, thank you Beth." She waved as I left her room and pushed open the door to Carl's.

"Carl," I whispered. His eyes flickered open, "hey Leah." I sat down beside him on the bed, "how you feeling?" He shrugged, "been better." I looked at the bandage covering the bullet hole. "You and dad have both been shot, that's sick." He laughed, "that's what I said, but dad told me I shouldn't say that around mom." I nodded, "that's probably a good idea." Carl reached for my hand, "I thought you were gone." I sighed looking down at him, "when they told me you'd been shot, I thought you were gone." He shook his head, "it's going to take more than a bullet to take me out of this world."

  The door opened and I smiled as dad walked in. "You know what I realized Leah girl," he said sitting down by me and Carl. "What's that dad?" He smiled, "it was your birthday two days ago." I looked down, "I don't think birthdays matter too much anymore." Dad shrugged, "yours matters." I scoffed, "Not really." Carl laughed, "best birthday ever right Leah?" I smiled, "right Carl." Dad came over and hugged me, "how's it feel to be twelve?" I shrugged, "cool." Dad rolled his eyes, "I love those detailed answers you give." I couldn't help but smile again. "I'm going outside, see you guys later."

I made my way outside sneaking into Shane's tent. Quickly I grabbed one of his knives tucking it into my waistband. Today I was going to look for Sophia, it was my fault she was missing and I needed to find her. I snuck down the side of the forest and when it was clear pushed through. I held the knife out in front of me, and walked forward. An arrow flew in front of me sticking into the tree right beside me, causing me to jump back. "What in the hell are you doing out here?" Daryl screamed. I took a deep breath, "going for a walk." He scoffed, "where the hell you get that knife from girly?" I sighed, "Shane." Daryl laughed, "you expect me to believe he just gave you a giant knife?" I shook my head no, "he didn't exactly give it to me." He nodded, "get your sorry ass back to camp before I drag you there. Tryna get yourself killed." I rolled my eyes, "I'm not going back till I find Sophia." Daryl grabbed my arm, "you're gonna do what I say. Go back." I pulled away glaring at him, "I can't go back until she's with me." He sat down, "I ain't gonna stop looking for her, but I don't need another girl going missing at the same time." I scoffed, "I'm not going to go missing." Daryl looked down at me, "happened once." I stood up, "I found my way back just fine." He glared at me, "you're not coming with me sunshine, go back." I rolled my eyes and headed back to the farm.

I was relieved that no one had noticed I left. Quickly I put the knife away and went back to the house. Beth sat on the steps looking out at the fields. "You okay?" I asked her as I sat down. She nodded, "I'm fine. The ladies from your group are making dinner tonight." I nodded, "that's nice of them." All of a sudden I heard Andrea scream, "WALKER," I jumped up rushing towards the RV. Dad ran up, "don't shoot, Andrea." He ordered. I ran into the field following dad and Shane. When we got close enough I gasped, "it's Daryl dad... is he dead?" Dad put his gun up to Daryls head level. "That's the third time you've put that gun to my head." Daryl growled. He was alive, I smiled, stepping forward then I heard a gun shot. I watched as Daryl collapsed down, it skimmed the side of his head. Quickly I jumped forward grabbing his arm Dad got the other. "Move quick Leah we got to get him help." Glenn ran up to us, "is he alive? Why's he wearing ears?" I looked at Daryls neck he had a chain of walker ears around it. Dad quickly pulled it off, "let's keep that part to ourselves." Hershel took him in and I walked away out into a field there was a log that I sat up against. If he would have let me go with him, maybe I could have helped. Now there was no one looking for Sophia.

I could see dad walking over to me, I shot him a small smile. "Hey kiddo, what are you doing out here?" I shrugged, "just wanted to be alone." Dad nodded, "mind if I sit down?" I patted the spot beside me. "Dad, could you show me how to shoot a gun? I should know." He looked at me, "I think you ought to know too, Shane's teaching tomorrow.." I shook my head, "I don't want to learn from Shane." Dad nodded, "I don't know if I should tell you this, but I need to tell someone I trust, I would tell Carl too but he's still recovering, and he's got too much going on right now. But you, since this all began, you've stayed strong. Stronger then I could've imagined. So I think I should tell you." I looked up, "what is it?" He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, "moms having a baby." I looked at him in shock, "you being serious?" He nodded, "dead serious." I stood up, "okay, okay. That's fine. You think a baby is gonna be okay in this world?" Dad sighed, "I hope so Leah." All I could do was nod, I headed into our tent laying down trying to process that I was gonna be a big sister, in a world like this.