Chapter 7

The next day I got up early, and saw that Daryl was already awake. "Are you okay?" I asked. He grunted, "what's it look like." I shrugged, "if you would've let me come this wouldn't have happened." He scoffed, "if you'd have come, I can promise you wouldn't have made it back. You should be thanking me kid." I rolled my eyes and headed towards the house, I spun around, "she was my friend you jerk, it's my fault. I promised her." My voice cracked. Daryl stood up walking over to me. "What did you promise her." He spat. "That she wouldn't die, that she'd be okay." Daryl kneeled down, "that's a pretty big promise for a kid." I looked down, "I did a pretty good job at keeping it huh." He scoffed, "it wasn't your job to keep her safe." I shrugged, "I told her to run, she ran. And now look, I'm the one who's here she's still missing. That should be me." Daryl nodded, "you're a good friend. I shook my head, "wouldn't call myself that." I started to walk away again, "don't beat yourself up" he called.

Dad sat on the porch drinking a cup of coffee. "Morning Leah," he said. I smiled at him, "hi dad." He moved his arm so I could lean against his side, "you okay?" I shook my head, "dad I need to help look for Sophia. I know it's dangerous. But she's my friend. I'll listen to you, I promise." Dad sighed, "have you talked to your mom about this? About anything lately?" I shrugged, "not really. She's busy with Carl and now a baby I guess." Dad looked at me, "your mom is never to busy for you." I shook my head, "then why hasn't she found time to talk to me. I'm the kid here." I started to get up but dad grabbed my arm, "you know you can talk to me about anything." I scoffed, "I'm trying too, I'm telling you right now that until you let me help look for Sophia all I'm gonna do is sit here and blame myself. Because it's my fault, it is." Dad let me go, "Leah, you can't possibly think it's your fault." I stepped away, "I don't think that, I know that dad." He sighed, "me and Hershel are going out with Jimmy, you can come." I nodded, "thank you."

Hershel had poles with ropes around them, "you  ready?" He asked dad. My dad stood up, grabbing my hand, "Leahs coming too." Hershel started to object, "I can take care of myself," I said. Instead of arguing he nodded, leading us into the forest. On the walk I learned that Hershel had a barn full of walkers, he believed they were sick, that they were still people. "So where are we going?" I finally asked. Hershel smiled, "we're going to save some more people." I looked at him, "you're putting more sick people in the barn?" He nodded and I just stayed silent, glancing up at my dad. He put his hand on my shoulder leading us forward.

We got to the creek, and each man got their own walker. I stared at them in disbelief, and then we began our walk back. Once we broke into the clearing, I could see Shane and the rest of the group running towards us. Most of them had guns, "dad," I whispered. "WHAT IS THIS?" Shane screamed. "These people aren't sick they're dead." He then held up his gun shooting one walker three times in the chest. "Would a living person be able to survive this? NO." Dad started screaming at him and suddenly Shane held up his gun and killed the walker Hershel was holding onto. "ENOUGH RISKING OUR LIFE FOR A GIRL THATS DEAD." Shane screamed. I stepped back shocked that he would say that. Then Shane ran up to the barn, he broke the lock and let out all the walkers. "Dad," I whispered panicking. "Leah, grab my arm." I held it tightly, holding my hands up as Shane turned around pointing the gun at us. He shot the walker dad was holding causing blood to spray everywhere. Dad handed me his extra gun, "don't shoot unless you have to Leah, you hear me." He yelled over the noise of everyone else's gunshots. Walkers were pooling out of the barn. I nodded, taking the safety off, loading rounds into the chamber.

When the last walker was killed I put my arm down staring at the pile of bodies. Hershel was on his knees, and Maggie was sobbing. Shane ruined our chance of living here, he ruined everything. I was about to walk away when I heard a growl, one more walker was coming out. Immediately I recognized the rainbow shirt. It was Sophia. Carol started running up to her and I stepped forward holding the gun dad gave me up. "I'm sorry Sophia, I'm sorry. I broke my promise." Tears were streaming down my face. I placed my finger on the trigger slowly pulling it. At the same time I collapsed down onto my knees. "Leah no." Dad called. "I promised her," dad pulled me into his arms. I sobbed into his shoulder, trying to drown out the sound of the other people crying. "I killed her. It's my fault. It's all my fault."