Chapter 14

When I heard my dad got back I went down the stairs into the main block. Everyone was gathered there. I just heard dad say, "he wants us gone. Dead. For what we did to Woodbury. That means we're going to war." I sighed not wanting to hear anymore of the conversation, turned around and walked outside. Soon after I heard the door open, "Leah." Dad came beside me. He gripped the fence and used his other arm to pull me in. "I hate him dad." He nodded, "I do too sweetheart, I hate everything he did to you Glenn and Maggie."

I looked at the woods, "Dad?" He hummed in response. "Is it bad I can't look at Judith. I want to, she's my sister, but all I see in her is mom.... and that gun. It just plays in my head. Me holding it up, Carl hugging me. And then the trigger. I can't make it stop." Dad squeezed my shoulder, "you did what no kid should have to do to their own mother." I sighed, "when you look at me, do you see the girl who shot the person you loved most?" He knelt down, "Leah, no. When I look at you, I see the strongest kid I know. It's hard to remember your still a kid. To remember you're younger then Carl. Your mother would be nothing but proud." I hugged him back, "I wish I didn't have to dad. That's the last memory I have of her." Dad let go and pushed his weight against the fence, "the last memory you should have of mom, is her bravery, her sacrifice, and her love for all you kids. Think about it for a minute. You think mom would really want you to remember her this way?" I shook my head no, "of course not. I'm sorry dad, I miss her everyday too, but I couldn't imagine how you feel." He scoffed, "don't be sorry kid, you did what you could, and for that me and mom are so so proud." I gave a quick nod, "thank you." He gave my shoulder one last squeeze before I pulled away. "Leah wanna meet me downstairs I've got an announcement. That's what I was coming out here to tell you. I've changed the plan slightly."

Down in the grounds I sat beside Carl at a picnic table. Dad came down shortly after and explained the deal the governor offered him, he said that he would leave us alone if we left the prison. Dad then announced he changed his mind. Since Daryl, Merle, and Michonne were gone. We were having a vote, to stay and fight, or leave. After that news Dad stormed away and I looked to Carl.

"Hey," I whispered so that no one would listen in on our conversation. "Is he kidding Leah?" Carl asked in disbelief. I could tell he was angry. "He's scared, we all are. He doesn't want everyone's lives in his hands, dad can't choose who lives and who dies. That's not fair to him." Carl looked away, "it's not fair for us either." I leaned in and lay my head against his shoulder. "I know it's not. But we can't blame that on dad."

I skipped the vote not interested in hearing the result. When Carl came up to me I looked up at him waiting for the result. "We're staying. We're fighting Leah." I nodded, "is that what you wanted?" He gave me a thumbs up, "what else would you have wanted. This is our home Leah." I gave him a nervous smile, and listened to him explain the plan before I finally caved in and said "you're right." I got up going on a search for dad, when I finally found him I ran up to him. "Where were you Leah? This may not be fun stuff to discuss but you have to be present." I nodded, "sorry. But I have a question. Where am I gonna be in this plan?" Dad sighed, "Beth Carl Judith and Hershel are hiding in the woods. Carl's there to protect them." I shrugged, "Carl won't need help. So guess I'm here." Dad agreed, "ya I'm gonna put you in the guard tower with Daryl." Dad kissed my forehead before taking off towards Glenn and Maggie.

Beth walked outside cradling Judith in her arms. "Say hi to your big sister," Beth whispered to the baby. "Hi," I said smiling at my sister. She reached her tiny hand up grasping a piece of my hair firmly pulling it down. "Excuse me kid, that's my hair." Beth giggled, "she's adorable." I nodded in agreement. "What do you think about this plan?" I asked her. Beth shrugged looking down, "I'm scared. But I have faith it'll work. This is our home." I gave her a small smile, "it will work. Dad will make sure of that." I waved goodbye and then went upstairs to my cell to lay down.