Chapter 65

"You good?" Daryl asked reaching his hand down to help me up. "I'm fine." I whispered. Dad stared down at Morales, "that.. that was." Daryl cut him off, "it don't matter who it was. Let's go find the guns." Dad shook his head, "they're not here, he called the saviours back from the courtyard.. we've got to go..."I heard gunshots and immediately jumped behind the wall covering my mouth. Quietly I lifted my gun taking a deep breath.

"They're here." Dad whispered. I ran following behind Dad and Daryl. I ducked behind a wall as bullets came flying beside my head. I continued shooting until I heard my gun click. "Hey. Dad. I'm out." Daryl reached his head around the corner. "Me too." Dad nodded, and pointed at the fire extinguisher. As soon as he shot it I pushed myself off the wall running towards him as the foam filled the hallway.

The last few man came running towards us and Dad led them towards the elevator pushing them down, I heard Aaron's voice and leaned my head out. "Aaron we're by the elevator." Dad hollered.

I followed all of our people out from the compound walking slowly staring down the hundreds of bodies piled on the ground. I slowly turned around pulling away from the group. I started walking back towards the compound trying to remember where that baby was. I let out a cry once I was away from everyone. This little girl heard her father get killed in the room right beside where she was sleeping. "Gracie." I whispered, finding her awake staring up at me from her crib. Slowly I bent down picking her up and holding her close to my chest. "I'm sorry about your daddy. He was trying to hurt me, and my dad. We didn't know you were here, if I did maybe it would have been different. I'm sorry, I really am. If anyone killed my dad, my entire world would end. I'm mad at him, even thought he didn't know. I'm really really mad, but I'm also happy. Because if he didn't do what he did, I might not be here, and my dad might not be here either, and we have people we need to get home to."

I heard a knock on the door, "I'm not dying anytime soon Leah. We're gonna find someone to take good care of Gracie. I promise you of that." Dad whispered.

I turned to follow him out still cradling the baby. Dad was a bit ahead of me but he suddenly stopped walking turning to face me. I closed my eyes as he pulled me into his arms. "I'm sorry I let them hurt you." I nodded, "I want to leave Dad, I just want to go home. Please." He sighed letting go, "Daryl will take you home. I have a stop to make. Alright?" I bit my lip, "that's fine."

Dad took the baby from me and I went and stood beside Daryls bike. "Leah, come with us to Hilltop. We'll get you cleaned up, then take you home tomorrow morning," Aaron whispered taking the baby from Dad. Dad nodded, "she'll go with you."

I climbed into the back of a truck staring down at my feet. I remained silent the entire ride getting out as soon as we arrived at the hilltop. "Leah." Maggie greeted me throwing her arms around me. I looked to my left seeing a group of saviours who were lined up against the fence with with guards surrounding them. "Why are they here?" I whispered to Maggie.

"Which one of you is Jared?" I watched as one of the men lifted his head wearing a big smile on his face. "How may I be of service beautiful?" I bent down putting my gun against his forehead. "You killed him." The man laughed, "I've killed many people darling. You've got to be more specific." I felt Maggie's hand on my shoulder and I immediately pulled away. "GET OFF. You killed a boy, one close to my age. Blond hair, you remember now?" I watched as he nodded, "oh I remember him alright. Was a pity watching him die, he almost made it, I barely shot the kid." I swung my gun down hitting him hard in the face. "HOW COULD YOU BE SO CARELESS WITH PEOPLES LIVES. He was a good guy, a good person." Jared just shrugged, "are you really talking about being careless with peoples lives? Do you know how many people you killed today sweetheart?" I shook my head, "there's a difference asshole, Benjamin was good, you and all of these saviours are disgusting. You're all terrible people. And I'm going to kill you. Just like you killed him." I stood up pushing the bullet into place. "Leah. Don't." I turned to see Maggie beside me and I felt someone's hands pull the gun from my hand.

Jesus stood there holding it by his side. "Two wrongs never make a right Leah." I shook my head as tears clouded over my eyes, "I have to do this, for Benjamin." When neither of them answered I threw my hands towards Jared, "HE DOESNT DESERVE TO LIVE. WHY CANT YOU SEE THAT. Maggie if it was Negan sitting there you would do the same god damn thing."

Maggie nodded, "I can't let you do this Leah. It's going to hurt you as much as it hurts him." I brushed my tears away glaring at the man. "Take me home right now. NOW. I'M NOT STAYING IN THE SAME PLACE AS A MURDERER. WHEN I SEE YOU AGAIN WHEN YOU'RE NOT SAFE INSIDE OF THESE WALLS I AM GOING TO KILL YOU IN THE MOST PAINFUL WAY IMAGINABLE."

I felt Jesus' hands on my shoulders, "come on Leah. I'll take you home."