Chapter 15

I stood back as dad began executing the plan. Daryl gave me a nod, and together we went up into our guard tower. "You ready kid?" he asked. I gave him a quick nod, keeping my eyes peeled to the ground. As several vehicles ripped down the road I watched one truck drive straight through our gates. Daryl pulled me down out of sight, men began pouring out of the vehicles and running into the prison. I jumped back as a loud explosion sounded, Daryl scoffed shaking his head, and I simply glared at him. Moments later the alarm began blaring, and no sooner did their men come running back out. I held my gun up and began firing, Daryl stood beside me doing the same. We fought for several minutes before the last of their trucks had left. Slowly I put my gun down taking a deep breath. without saying anything Daryl left the tower leaving me by myself.

I leaned against the window staring down below, there was blood, and several bodies scattering the prison yard. I then noticed group of children, and adults brought back from the governor's, by two siblings, Tyrese and Sasha. They were being led into the prison. I climbed down going to put my gun away, I was stopped by a boy who looked roughly fifteen, which meant he was two years older than me. "hey," he whispered, setting the gun down for me. I gave him a small smile, "hi, did you come from Woodbury?" the boy nodded taking off his ball cap revealing his curly hair that was once flowing out the back of his cap. "I'm Liam." I reached out my hand to his, "my names Leah." Together we walked inside the prison bumping into my dad on the way. He reached out pulling me into a hug. "Leah, you did good sweetheart." I smiled, "Thanks dad. This is Liam, I'm going to help him settle in." Dad reached out and shook Liams hand. "Nice to meet you son."

Liam showed me where his cell was, and I immediately helped him make his bed, a boy a few years older named Patrick was rooming with him. He was a nice kid, chatty, but very childish. It felt like all of the governors people were sheltered, but Liam wasn't, he was the opposite.

Two days later Patrick had left for story time, it was where Carol read books to the children. Leaving me and Liam alone. We lay back on his bed staring up at the ceiling. "Do you think the prison will last?" he asked me. I shrugged, "we fought for it. My dad sacrificed a lot for this place, its where my mom died. I hope it survives Liam." He nodded, "I never found my parents," he admitted. I turned my head to face him, "that must be hard. Not knowing." Liam reached out his hand closing it around mine. "It is, everyday I think about them." I squeezed his hand, "I understand the feeling. My mom. I had to kill her, she died giving birth to my baby sister. And now I can hardly bring myself to look at her because all I feel is guilt." Liam took a deep breath, and we both shot up as Carl ran in. He climbed onto the bunk with us staring at our connected hands. "Am I interrupting something?" He asked looking down at us. I cracked a smile, shaking my head no. "Good, because I have something to tell you guys." I nodded, and Liam narrowed his eyes, confused about what was happening. "I went to story time, except it's not a story, Carol's secretly teaching the kids how to defend themselves." I sighed, looking over at Liam. "I don't think thats a bad idea," I said, watching as Carl stared at me in shock. "Carl, think about it, they need to learn, if something were to happen, they can't live such a sheltered life. Sooner or later they're gonna have to face reality." Instead of listening to me he hopped down from the bed, before he left the room he turned around glaring at me. "I thought we were in this together, we made decisions together. If you were there with me you would have felt differently, but you have barely spoken to me, dad, Judith, or anyone, but him." I felt Liam shift uncomfortably, as carl stormed out. Its not that I was avoiding the rest of the group on purpose, Daryl was mad at me for some reason, and he was always around dad.

Ever since the guard tower he's been ignoring me, while getting praise from everyone else for his hunting. I leaned my head on Liams shoulder, and he layed his arm around me. "You okay Leah?" I nodded, staying quiet. "Thanks for hanging out with me, I forgot what it was like to just talk with your friends." Patrick walked into the cell smiling up at the two of us. "You feeling okay?" I asked. His face was pale and he was holding a bottle of some disgusting looking liquid. "try this," he insisted to Liam holding the bottle up. Liam took a sip gagging immedietly. I rolled my eyes, jumping down from the bed. "Night Patrick," I said as left the room. Liam walked me back to Carl and I's cell. "Goodnight," I said smiling. "Night Leah." Before I could react to what was happening Liam pressed his lips up against mine. I kissed him back, pulling away in shock, he gave me a smirk then made his way back to his block.

"Get to bed," I heard an angry voice say from behind me. I turned around to see Daryl standing there. "Yep," I whispered pulling open the gate. "best hope your dad don't find out about that kiss." I rolled my eyes as I turned away climbing into bed. "Carl," I whispered. he ignored me so I shut my eyes falling asleep.