Chapter 73

When Dad drove through the hilltop gates I grabbed my gun loading it. "Leah, what are you doing?" Dad asked. I slammed the door behind me marching up to Jared who was still in the locked in the gates. Without a second thought I held my gun up and shot him in the leg. "LEAH." Dad yelled, grabbing my shoulder. I watched Jared thrash around on the ground grabbing onto his leg. "WHY DOES HE GET TO LIVE? YOU KILLED AN INNOCENT BOY. A GOOD GUY. CARL WAS GOOD DAD. AND NOW HE'S DEAD. THIS MAN HERE IS A DIRTBAG HE DOESNT GET TO LIVE, AT LEAST NOT WITHOUT PAIN."

I pulled out of Dads reach trying to lift my gun again but he grabbed it throwing it down and Daryl lunged forward grabbing my other arm. "You're crazy bitch." Jared whispered. I tried to reach forward but Dad and Daryl pulled back, forcing me away from him. Once we had reached the trailer we were given I pulled away. "He needs to die. He killed Benjamin Dad." Dad pushed me down pulling my knives and guns out of my belt. "What the hell was that?" He asked staring down at me. "What? Now you're suddenly all about peace and making up with the saviours. He doesn't deserve to live not when good people are dying." Dad sat down beside me putting his hand against his head and Daryl knelt down. "That ain't the way it needs to be." I shook my head, "you don't understand, neither of you do."

We sat there in silence until the door was pushed open and Michonne walked in handing Judith to Dad. "Jared's going to be alright." I scoffed, "thats too damn bad." Dad nodded, "you're right, it is." I looked up, "so now you agree with me?" He stood up, "you wouldn't listen to me if I didn't, and that's not a fight I want to get into with you." I watched as he grabbed Michonnes hand pulling her outside with Judith and I was left there throwing my arms up. Daryl leaned forward and he was about to say something but I shook my head, "I'm fine."

He sighed, "no you're not." I bit my lip, "I want to be alone right now. Please." He put his hand on my shoulder as he stood up, "I'm sorry kid."

I curled my knees up to my chest staring at the door as he walked out. After a while I put my hand down my shirt pocket pulling out the pictures Carl took of us. When the door opened close to an hour later I finally pulled my eyes away from the picture to see Dad. "Daryl and I we were gonna go out, take a lookout point." I just nodded looking back down to my picture. "What's that?" He asked sitting down beside him. I handed the pictures over twisting my rings around on my hand. "I haven't really been there for you Leah." I shrugged, "it happened today, I'm not expecting anything from anyone right now." He sighed, "Every time I look at you, I expect him to be sitting there right beside you." He handed me the picture back, "do you want me to stay here? I won't go anywhere." I shook my head, "they need you out there Dad." He nodded, "but you're my daughter, and you need me and that's all I care about right now." I bit my lip, "whether you stay here or not won't change the fact that he's gone. Whether you sit here with me all night won't make a difference to anyone, but you going out and helping that's making a difference. I'm better here alone anyway, because I have nothing to say." Dad placed his hand on my shoulder, "I don't know what to say either." I sighed, "I'll see you when you get back Dad." He leaned down placing a kiss on my forehead, "I love you Leah girl."

I closed my hand around the photo rolling my eyes when I heard the door open again. "Leah." I heard Maggie call. She brought Enid along with her. "Hi sweetheart," Maggie whispered sitting down beside me. I saw the the tears stained on Enid's face moving aside so she could sit down too. "When I lost Beth, it felt like my whole world came to a complete stop. But everyone around me kept moving." Enid placed her hand on my shoulder, "I'm really sorry Leah." I bit my lip, "I'm sorry too, it wasn't just me who lost him." Maggie smiled, "come on out with us, let's get you some food, some sunshine. Believe me it sounds like nothing but it makes all the difference."

I sighed, "I just need some time, I need to shower." My voice cracked, "I still have his blood on me, it was just like how it was with Mom." She nodded, "grab my hand, I'm going to help you." I shakily stood up following her to the bathroom. She started the tap for me, just like how Benjamin did at the kingdom. "You get in, I'll be right here the whole time."