Chapter 30

We heard a knock on the door and Dad stood up letting Ron's dad in. I payed more attention to the movie then their conversation but noticed when he slammed the door shut. "Everything alright?" I asked. He sat back down, "he's just an asshole."

I nodded, "just like his son." Dad smiled, "I hope you didn't like that boy too much." I shook my head, "I didn't like him at all, I just thought he was an alright friend."

We had just started the movie again when Carol burst in. "Pete's hitting Jessie, maybe Sam and Ron too." Rick stared at her, "you know this how? Did Sam tell you?" Carol shook her head, "he didn't have to." The two of them turned to me and then started to whisper the only thing I made out was Carol telling Dad he was going to have to kill Pete.

As she shut the door I immediately got up. "Dad I think she's right." He turned to me, "is there something you need to tell me?" I nodded, "Ron, last night when we were drinking got angry. I was screaming at him because I had drank too much and he kept reminding me of everything, but then all of a sudden he just charged at me. Nothing happened because Carl walked in... but I think he would've..." Dad cut me off, "he was going to hit you?" I shrugged, "I don't know for sure because of Carl.." Dad held up his hand, "if someone hurt you or was going to hurt you I want to know. You should've told me." I sighed, "I know." Dad slammed his hand down, "what is with the secrets, all the sneaking around your drinking, your anger?" I threw my arms up, "because you always react like this, you always yell and get mad." He stared at me, "in this day in age I'd rather be yelling at you to keep you safe then standing in front of your dead body." I scoffed, "he wasn't going to kill me." Dad stepped forward, "how do you know that? Listen Leah you're my daughter, I love you more then anything in this world and I will do anything to keep you safe. But you have to help me. I need to know if things like this happen." I nodded, "okay." He sat down, "I want you to tell me everything Leah, even if you think it will bore me to my grave, because everything you have to say I care about." I sighed, "I get it." He nodded, "you promise." I raised my eyebrow, "I promise." He put his hand on my shoulder, "nothings going to happen to you, and I will make sure of that."

Dad left the house and I stayed in until I heard screams from out on the street. I stood up seeing dad on top of Pete. They had fallen through a window and were covered in blood. "Carl" I screamed, he grabbed my arm pulling us towards dad. "DAD GET OFF." I begged. Carl tried to get him off but Dad used his arm to push Carl off. He had Pete around the neck. "Rick stop." Deana ordered.

Dad immediately pulled out his gun and I stepped back holding onto Carl's wrist tightly. Dad was screaming at them while pointing a gun at their heads. "You're way of living here is going to get you all killed. It ends now." I couldn't take him seriously he was hysterical and waving a gun around in these peoples faces. "What do we do?" I whispered to Carl. He squeezed my hand, "he's going to get us kicked out."

I watched as Michonne walked up and held up the back of her gun slamming it into dads head. He collapsed onto the ground and I stared in disbelief, Pete was gasping for breaths and Carl grabbed my arm, "Let's go get Judith, come on Leah, you don't want to watch this anymore." I sighed turning around, Maggie gave me a small smile touching my arm lightly.

Carl grabbed Judith and we made our way to our house. I went to the kitchen grabbing an applesauce for Judith. I threw it to Carl, and after we had fed her the two of us put her down in her room. "I wish I could be as peaceful as her," I whispered. Carl smiled, "She's going to be anything but peaceful when she grows up, just like you." I rolled my eyes sitting down on the floor. "You think they're going to kick him out?" Carl asked. I shrugged, "I hope not."

We sat up together the entire night, leaning our backs against Judith's cribs. When light began to creep through the window I stood up seeing Carl had fallen asleep beside me. I grabbed a pillow laying it down for him and covering him with a blanket, then made my way outside.